Disabling the controls on course PDF

Disabling the controls on course PDF

by Deepak Gupta -
Number of replies: 9

Is there a way to disable / remove the controls that we have on a course related PDF page. The main purpose is to just prevent the users from saving / printing the same on their systems.

Thanks / Deepak

Attachment controls.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deepak Gupta

Re: Disabling the controls on course PDF

by Jez H -

I dont think so, and its a waste of time.

The easiest way to save a PDF is not to open and print it but to "right click > save as" the link, before they even see the PDF.

You cannot protect any of your content, files, video, it can all be downloaded / copied one way or another.

If you are worried about people taking your content a better approach maybe to embed branding, watermarks etc, so if anyone does take a copy and re-distribute it becomes an advertisement for you or your organization.

In reply to Jez H

by Christine Healey -

I think we've all had to come to terms with the idea that there is no real way to protect resources and content that sits on any part of the web. Better to embrace this opportunity to share. Nothing is truly original!

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My favourite question (in one of it's many forms). Unless you have the client computer under total lock and key there is absolutely nothing you can do to 'protect' your materials from your users doing anything they like with them. Best just to accept that and move on wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jez H -

Given so many people have video cameras in their pockets, on their wrist, being built into eyewear putting the client computer under lock and key is going to do the trick either. You need someone sat behind them watching everything they do...

or maybe have a little trust in your users smile

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Sue Dowson -

While I agree with many of the replies here (impossible to completely protect) we have a situation where Copyright permission to upload some commercial learning resources to our LMS is permitted, as long as all possible attempts have been made to dissuade users from printing it. Therefore getting rid of the PDF controls, as Deepak is wishing to, would help us meet this requirement. It seems reasonable to me that the Copyright owner has made this request .

Does anyone have some ideas? Would be much appreciated.

In reply to Sue Dowson

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Deepak,

I feel that comes under browser settings or need to put this question on adobe forum.

Aditya

In reply to Sue Dowson

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You might want to have a look at FlexPaper - http://flexpaper.devaldi.com/ - and see if you can embed its output in a Moodle Page resource or link to a main file in a File resource. There used to be an option to control the print button on Flexpaper's swf flash player. Also, HTML5 output was / is available, but in the paid version. I have not been tracing the development there of late - a couple of years back, while still on Moodle 1.9, I would sometimes resort to this solution.

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Like everybody else, let me say "no" you can't really do this. But one way people have been known to work around this is to convert to pdf to flash, ie a swf file. Then the user probably won't download, and printing would mean resorting to screen capture.

Of course then all the users on ipads and similar devices can't consume the content either. But perhaps you could show them the pdf.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)