Certain Phrases Auto-linking - Annoying

Certain Phrases Auto-linking - Annoying

deur Sam Geppi -
Getal antwoorde: 5

Certain Phrases are Auto-linking from either a forum post or text file. 
For example - just writing the word "homework" auto-links to the week 1 homework.
"Course Forum" is another phrase.. 

Jeez!,. what a silly feature to have to UNdo!

Gemiddeld van beoordelings: -
In antwoord op Sam Geppi

Re: Certain Phrases Auto-linking - Annoying

deur Gareth J Barnard -
Prentjie van Core developers Prentjie van Particularly helpful Moodlers Prentjie van Plugin developers

Its the 'Activity names auto-linking' filter, see admin/filters.  Its not 'silly' as some users will want it.  Its only a pain if it cannot be disabled, choice is power, lack of choice is restrictive.  Moodle is meant for all ways of working.

In antwoord op Sam Geppi

deur Richard Oelmann -
Prentjie van Core developers Prentjie van Plugin developers Prentjie van Testers

Have to say I used it all the time in Primary school, so didn't find it silly at all. I still use it now as part of a training resource that links main text to items in a glossary and it is an extremely useful tool.

Very easy to turn off though just go to http://yoursite//admin/filters.php and switch it off

Alternatively (if others on your site are using the filter), just call your activity something a bit less generic, such as 'Week 1 Homework' rather than just 'homework' and its less likely to get picked up by the filter when you don't intend it to, but still allows you (or other users) to make use of the fact that the filter is available

In antwoord op Richard Oelmann

deur Mary Cooch -
Prentjie van Documentation writers Prentjie van Moodle HQ Prentjie van Particularly helpful Moodlers Prentjie van Testers Prentjie van Translators

Just noting you can turn off individual filters like the activity auto linking on in the course setting of each course, so it doesn't have to be site wide.

Gemiddeld van beoordelings:Useful (3)
In antwoord op Mary Cooch

deur Richard Oelmann -
Prentjie van Core developers Prentjie van Plugin developers Prentjie van Testers

Thanks Mary, Id forgotten about that - even though I used it in school glimlag

In antwoord op Sam Geppi

deur Sam Geppi -

Thanks all.

Sorry to offend by calling it silly.
IMO - It is not a silly *feature*. It is silly have it auto-set to be "ON" - and (apparently) selecting what phrases and what links to use.

I did not willingly set these phrases or the links it decided to link to .. (Keyword "IT" decided to link to). 

Great feature .. I think it is not good to have it automatically set to "ON" and arbitrarily assigning phrases and links ..