Examples of using STACK

Examples of using STACK

by gilad arrad -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

I am very excited about the possibilities of the STACK project. Unfortunately the professors in my university have much less insight when it comes to computer added quizzes, they want me to show them functioning examples of STACK questions before they agree to assign any amount of resources to adding it to our system. Since I need a working instance of STACK to create the desired demonstration, this is a typical case of the Egg and Chicken problem.

So my question is simple: does any one knows where I can find some impressive examples of the capabilities of STACK put into work?
I will show them the movie in:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=252112
But it won't do the work all by itself.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to gilad arrad

Re: Examples of using STACK

by Malik Koné -

I think that what your looking for is something like here http://stack.bham.ac.uk/moodle/

In reply to Malik Koné

by gilad arrad -

Thanks, that is indeed helpful.

I wonder if I can add any examples to the server (or even better: create some examples on the server), say some more physics oriented examples (as I teach physics)?

In reply to gilad arrad

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Gilad,

Thanks for your interest in STACK. Currently teachers have a much higher level of "trust", e.g. they can create and define their own functions.  So, we really need to know that people granted teacher accounts (with the ability to edit questions) are genuine people, and not trying to scam the server. That is why we don't give teacher accounts out by default. 

I'd be interested in putting up some science questions, including physics, on the site.  I'm sure in some areas STACK would be very useful.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by gilad arrad -

Thanks all,

Chris, I am currently writing some questions using my own units processing functions - it is rather Hacky and also not very efficient and convenient, but it works, and it gives me some information about what capabilities I would like to have from a units-testing module.  I will gladly report the accumulated information, after I start actually testing students in thous questions, and get some other lecturers to add their own questions, probably by the end of the month.

Also, I can't find a link to the examples server on the documentation of STACK, I think it might be helpful to add it to the plug in documentation page...

gilad

In reply to gilad arrad

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Gilad,

Please contribute your examples - some questions might help as well.

Also, please take note of the existing functionality in Maxima such as

"C:/PROGRA~1/MAXIMA~1.1-1/share/maxima/5.31.1-1/share/physics/units.mac"

[or the equivalent path on your machine of course]

This is a very simple file of units. 

Much more substantial is load("unit"); but this is very slow to load.

Also, there is an "ezunits" package.  I've not had time (or need) to investigate these properly, but it would be sensible for you to do so. I expect you will find much that you need, and it would be a shame to have yet more Maxima commands which do substantially the same thing.

If you need to load a package in your own version of Maxima (for test or implementation) you can add a line to 

...\moodle\question\type\stack\stack\maxima\stackmaxima.mac

This can't be done per-question or by the teacher - it would be a huge security risk.

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris