View / hide button doesn't work in orphaned activities

View / hide button doesn't work in orphaned activities

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Number of replies: 16

I'm not sure if this issue is related to themes, but anyway I would like to ask if someone has noticed problems with view / hide button in orphaned activities. It worked fine, but now is not working.

We are working with Moodle 2.4 and I have tested the problem with different themes and Topics course format.

Browsers: Firefox 26 and Chrome 18

I have also opened this issue: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43941

Regards!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to José Miguel Andonegi

Re: View / hide button doesn't work in orphaned activities

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, Sorry for sounding dumb, but can you explain what it is you are referring to when you say 'orphaned activities'.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Orphaned activities is the term given to activities which are not shown on the page for students but which have been previously made in a topic and the topic is no longer shown. So for example you add activities to 3 topics and you only show 2 topics to students by -in the course settings - selecting the number of topics to show to 2. (This is not the same as hiding with the eye) Many teachers use this method to link to an activity in an orphaned section so they don't have the scroll of death. If you link in section 1 to an orphaned activity in section 3 pupils can access it but the activity is not available on the actual page (hence avoiding the scroll of death) Hiding would make it unavailable.

So I am not quite sure José of the need to hide or show orphaned activities but perhaps that will be explained now.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ah...thanks Mary, this does sound rather like Jose is not using the 'orphaned activities' function correctly.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think there is an actual problem.  The show/hide icon is a state for the activity / resource when it is in a section that is being shown.  By default of concept, orphaned activities / resources are only shown at the bottom when editing is on such that the editor can drag / drop them into a viewable section if required.  Then the show / hide state would come into play.  It is my belief that resources / activities retaining their show / hide state should be retained when they become orphans because of the number of sections being reduced.  If this action was a mistake and the user went back and increased them again then you would want previous set state to be retained.  And in fact would be raising a tracker issue if it is not.  So:

If (Orphan)

Do not show unless editing.

else if (Not orphan and not editing)

Show if 'show' is enabled else hide.

else

Show as must not be an orphan and editing.  Ignore 'show / hide' state.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

P.S.  This thread has nothing to do with themes and everything to do with Courses / Course formats.

Hi Gareth:

Probably you are right and it is a course format issue and not a theme issue. If so, I would appreciate if someone could move it to the right section.

Just one point: the eyes function is much more important than showing it / not showing it in the course's main page. It is the way teachers control if the students have right to access the activity, no matter if they access from the course's main page, or from any other way.

by Gareth J Barnard -

True, but the 'orphaned' logic still holds water smile.  You would not want to remove 'intent' just because an activity / resource temporarily becomes an orphan.

A moderator, Mary / Richard or Helen can move the thread.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am just about to move this discussion to Course formats. Hold on tight everybody...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi Mary:

Thank you very much for changing the message to this section.

Gareth: I think that my English is a bit poor. smile. I don't want to remove the View/Hide button. I just want it to work as always has done.

I have recorded a screencast about this issue. In Moodle22 works fine, but in Moodle2.4.7 or Moodle 2.4.8 doesn't work. It used to work in Moodle 2.4

Regards!

by ben reynolds -

Just to note that 2.6 has reverted to the 1.9 method. You can only edit while the orphaned section is visible. You can still get to activities in the orphaned section when it is orphaned, but you can't see it as a teacher/admin/etc to edit unless you make the section visible.

In reply to ben reynolds

Hi Ben:

Sad to read about that regression. sad Viewing orphan activities in front page has been a great improvement. It is really useful for teachers.

Thank you for your note!

Hi Ben:

I just opened my moodle 2.6.1 and orphaned activities are still alive and kicking. See the screencast I recorded:

The problem with View/Hide button is still there, but the other functionalities work fine.

by ben reynolds -

well, I didn't try frontpage. I was just using a regular course.

So, what you would like is the 2.2 capability returned?

I'm happy either way. I can live with extra couple of clicks, though I'd rather they were consistent across versions.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi all,

I have replicated the issue and see what you are talking about.  I have commented on the tracker issue MDL-43941.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi Mary (Cooch):

That's exactly the use we are giving to orphaned activities: we create there some elements and generate some other ways to access them, avoiding the scroll of death. In Moodle 19, a tipical way to change them them was:

• Increase the number of sections.
  • Edit the element
  • Decrease the number of sections

From Moodle 2.X on, when activating the edition, topics beyond the last topic can be seen as Orpaned view, and that's really useful. The have all the edition icons (arrows to move them, pen to edit them, x to delete, the eye, ...)

The eye has worked fine and we have used it to show (allow students to acces it) or hide (do not allow students to acces it).

Suddenly, it has stopped working. It works fine if you right click and open it in a new window