How a line manager views course/activity completion of cohort

How a line manager views course/activity completion of cohort

by Rhys Williams -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me if i'm posting this in the incorrect forum, but wasn't sure where it should be posted. I am a novice at setting up moodles and am getting rather stuck.

We are a company using moodle to provide various courses for our staff to complete and we would like each line manager to view the progress of the staff they line manage. These Line managers need to monitor their progress across all courses their staff are enrolled in.

I thought it best to set up the line managers with the teacher (non-editing) role and create cohorts for each line manager and to add their staff to those cohorts. But i do not know how to give the line manager the ability to view the course and activity completion reports to only the staff that are in their cohort.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rhys Williams

Re: How a line manager views course/activity completion of cohort

by Rhys Williams -

I've managed to give the correct permissions to the line manger to view course/activity completion reports. I did this by editing the line manager role and allowing the following:-

View courses without participation moodle/course:view

View participants moodle/course:viewparticipants 

View reports moodle/site:viewreports

View activity reportreport/outline:view

View course completion report

report/completion:view

View course participation reportreport/participation:view

However when viewing the activity completion report for a course it show all staff and not just the users within the line managers cohort. How can i restrict this view to be cohort only?

by Rhys Williams -

It seems the only way to allow the line manager to filter the activity completion report was to create a group from the cohort. I was able to do this by going to the course administration> Users> Groups and selecting Auto-Create Groups and selecting the cohort. This sadly has to be done on every course, but having the staff in a cohort speeds the group creation process up.

thaught i'd post it up here in case it helps someone else.

by Andre Paz Leal -

It´s always a great help, and yes, that´s the only way of doing this.