Re: emailed essays showing HTML tags

av Janis Fair -
Antall svar: 6

Hi Joseph,

I finally got your block installed and the teachers are very happy with it. Thanks for all your work on this!

One question though - do you know how I can fix a related problem?  The lesson essay feedback that gets sent by email by the teacher also ends up in the student Moodle messaging but with extra code in the question, student reply and feedback. Here is an example copied from the student messages. (Not a real student so disregard the silly answer.)  We're using V2.5.4.

> The Greatest Canadian – CBC: Wikipedia Reading
& gt;
& gt; Please write one short paragraph to tell me which of the Canadians on the
& gt; list you found the most interesting and why.
& gt;
& gt; Click on the button below to submit your work.

Your response:

& gt; _<p>I found Michael Jackson interesting and talented. But he's not on the
& gt; list.</p> <p>Why is that?</p>_

Do you know of a way to stop that extra code from appearing? Or perhaps this is the wrong forum to post this question?! I've seen the issue discussed before but haven't been able to find a resolution...

Thanks,
Janis

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Janis Fair

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hi Janis,

1.- I have split your post to a new discussion.

2.- The problem you mention has already been reported in this discussion and in the tracker in these 2 issues: MDL-40492 and MDL-31359. Please add your vote, and the bug may get fixed some day.

Joseph

Som svar til Joseph Rézeau

feedback from lesson essays - tags in messaging

av Janis Fair -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your response.  I'm not sure that this is the same issue as the one you pointed me to about html tags in essays. In fact, I've already used the fix you mentioned in that discussion for getting rid of the html tags in the student email, but the tags I'm still getting  are in the message the students receive in their moodle messaging. (Thanks for that fix by the way!)

The tags in my example above are different, aren't they? i.e. they don't look like html to me but I'm no expert!

Janis

Som svar til Janis Fair

Re: feedback from lesson essays - tags in messaging

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Janis,

It's impossible to reply to your problem if you do not provide much more information. I would need to see the exact text of the essay prompt, the exact text of the student's response, the exact text of their email contents, etc.

I have entered a simple Essay in a test Lesson on my Moodle 2.5 test site and everything works as expected, except that some html tags remain visible in the email the student gets, as mentioned in the tracker links I gave in my previous post.

I am attaching a screenshot of what a student gets after their essay has been corrected and sent by email.

Josephscreenshot #1

av Janis Fair -

Hi Joseph,
Sorry for the mix up. I'm not talking about the email of feedback. I've used your fix to take care of the html that shows up there. This problem is when the feedback also goes to the messaging in Moodle. It comes out with a code that doesn't seem to be html.  Just wondered if you or anyone else had a fix for that.  It happens with every lesson essay we use.

Som svar til Janis Fair

av Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for the clarification, Janis. I must say I never ever use the messaging system in Moodle. For what you describe to happen, I suppose your students have changed the default "send Email" setting in their profile for Lesson to Popup notification (+ Email ?).

screenshot #1

I have tested it and you're right, it does display a lot of "garbage". The fact that you are the first to report this in all the years I've been using Moodle and moderating the Lesson forum probably means that you are the first person to have their students ask for "Popup notification" for the Lesson essays.

I'll try to investigate the matter. In the meantime, are you sure you want your students to read their Lesson essays feedback in the Moodle messaging system rather than by "normal" email?

Joseph

av Janis Fair -

Hi Joseph,

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the messaging system either but some of our teachers and students seem to like using it.

In this case, the students have not changed their settings for the lesson essay graded notification. The check box that you highlighted in yellow in your screenshot is not checked in my sample student but he still gets the feedback there (as well as by email).

I've tried changing it in the system so that the choosing the popup notification is disabled but with no difference in the results. The feedback message is sent to the moodle messaging regardless.

I did see a conversation about this here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=238253 but it wasn't resolved there.

Anyway, I'm trying to get around it by having the teachers use your essay feedback block and in the lesson itself have instructions for the students to look at that block to check their feedback (and to see what they have already submitted.) 

Thanks,
Janis