Upload to change existing users also changes LDAP to Manual Authen

Upload to change existing users also changes LDAP to Manual Authen

by Kathleen Burns -
Number of replies: 2

Installed new LDAP server just two weeks ago.  Still allow manual authen for a handful of "special" user accounts. Using Moodle 2.5.  

First upload of students to LDAP seems to work fine.  However,subsequent uploads of existing students to other courses causes the auth method to change to manual.  

Our process is:  

1. Upload minimal info to LDAP server.  It takes 2 hours to synch with moodle.  (our LDAP was "built around" an existing system, not moodle)

2. Then we upload to a cohort and move the cohort into the first course. 

3. A few weeks later, we use csv upload to add the cohorts and groups into other courses, as needed.  Upon this second upload, the auth changes itself from ldap to manual.  (then I have to do another upload to set it back)  Is this expected behavior?  The only way I can avoid this is by making sure the upload file (csv) contains a field for auth, set to ldap.  Have not seen a discussion of this in the forums, so I'm wondering if some LDAP setting is wrong for us.

I'm including here a sample of all three upload files.  Thanks to everyone who might weigh in on this....Kathleen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathleen Burns

Re: Upload to change existing users also changes LDAP to Manual Authen

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am pretty sure this is happening because the default auth is manual.  You have to put the auth column in your csv file and set it to ldap.  Upload csv was originally designed to add new users so it will naturally update the authentication method and because you are uploading directly into Moodle it makes sense that it would set it as manual.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Upload to change existing users also changes LDAP to Manual Authen

by Kathleen Burns -

Thank you for your feedback.  I will use that as my workaround.  Just needed assurance that I was doing it correctly.