Login/index.php Slowing Down Moodle

Login/index.php Slowing Down Moodle

by Tony Hartman -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone. Our Moodle 2.6 is sometimes very fast and sometimes extremely slow. We have very few students enrolled due to the very slow performance of the site, so I don't think the problem is linked to actual demand on the site. We previously were using Moodle 1.8, and it was generally pretty fast. We just recently upgraded.

I don't know a lot about coding, but our host (Bluehost) said that the login/index.php file seems to be the big culprit. 

Could you all help with some suggestions of things to check for or possible problems. I thought that perhaps I have a security problem with the location of some key files, so perhaps there is some bot or alien force trying to attack the site? Any help is much appreciated. 

Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Hartman

Re: Login/index.php Slowing Down Moodle

by Jez H -

You will struggle to run Moodle on a shared host like BlueHost. I would suggest:

• Moodle very fast - other Bluehost customers websites are quiet
  • Moodle very slow - other Bluehost customers websites are very busy

login.php does not do anything too demanding, caching can make a big difference in Moodle 2.6.

as for bots, best thing you can do is add a robots.txt file to de index it from search engines.

In reply to Jez H

by Tony Hartman -

Hello Jez H. I'm not sure what you mean by your suggestion. What is it that you suggest I do (if anything) regarding the problem? You mentioned caching but I'm not sure if there is a related suggestion for that as well? Thanks In advance for any clarification you might offer. 

Tony 

In reply to Tony Hartman

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tony, it's hard to comment based on the information you have supplied.  How fast is fast how slow is slow, how many people are logging in? is it 10, 20 100 etc. Later versions of Moodle deliver much more functionality and so require more hardware, something that some Google searches on Moodle performance comparison will help with.

However one thing is for certain, the performance of code on shared hosting such as Bluehost will vary according to what other people are doing on the same machine. So if another user of that web space suddenly gets popular by having a page linked on Slashdot (or whatever) all bets on performance is off for everyone else on that machine. It might be nothing to do with the version of Moodle and everything to do with some other user of the web space getting a big surge in hits.

This would explain why the performance varies.  I use very cheap hosting (£GBP 50 per year) and the performance is generally fine for about 20 users, but I am entirely aware that sometimes the performance might drop to unusable and that is the cost of cheap. Touch wood this has rarely happened.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tony Hartman -

Thank you. I upgraded to Bluehost's "Pro" server for a slight increase in cost ($35 per year) and it solved the problem. Everything is lightning quick now. Thanks for your help and suggestions.