Installation Problem - Blank Screen

Installation Problem - Blank Screen

by Les Berks -
Number of replies: 6

I am installing Moodle 2.6.1 under Linux Mint 16 and after I enter the database details in the Moodle setup I get a blank screen.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Best Regards

Les

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Les Berks

Re: Installation Problem - Blank Screen

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, have to ask ... why Linux Mint?   GUI desktop for internet server apps [apache/MySQL]  that are faceless (ie, run as daemons) really stretches purpose of installing Moodle on any 'highended' GUI desktop.   But ... since it is Linux there is always the terminal.

Blank screen during installation could be many things so anyone attempting to help will need some more info.

Start with the basics ... versions of: Apache, MySQL, PHP.   After launching Apache/MySQL do you have enough memory to run Moodle? What's the memory of the box. Have you checked messages/secure logs as well as apache error logs, php error logs, php settings?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tej Sarup -

Dear Les,

Are you facing similar to this ?

Dear Ken,

I have provided some of the details you have requested. would be greatly obliged if you could offer your advice on that ticket too? or i could monitor this one ??

Thank you 

In reply to Tej Sarup

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Maybe he's installing it on his (Linux) desktop machine?

In reply to Les Berks

by Mark Hayes -

I had a similar problem when I installed 2.6 on ubuntu 13.10, ie, blank moodle screen. It urned out to be a PHP issue (missing JSON module). Here are my notes which fixed the problem. (JSON is no longer bundled in the PHP 5.5 which comes with ubuntu 13.10)

Attachment moodle.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Hayes

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
+1

Yes, this problem was discussed at length under 'How to ensure I "own" everything -Ubuntu Moodle install' https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=246408.