Help Converting Log Entries to Concurrent Users / RAM Requirement

Help Converting Log Entries to Concurrent Users / RAM Requirement

by Matthew Terhune -
Number of replies: 1

Hi All,

I'm starting the process of moving my school's Moodle installation from a hosting company to a dedicated server. I have some experience with small Moodle installations. This is not going to be a huge setup, but it will be larger than what I've done before and I'm trying to estimate our hardware needs.

Unfortunately the only usage statistic I have from our hosting company is log entries / 5 minutes. They are reporting a peak value of ~150 entries / 5 minutes. I'm trying to get from this number to an estimate of our RAM requirements, but I don't really know what it represents in terms of concurrent users / php requests per second. Can anyone offer insight? I know this is not an exact science...  Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Terhune

Re: Help Converting Log Entries to Concurrent Users / RAM Requirement

by J S -

It depends on who your hosting company is and how they have you setup, but you could ask for a copy of the web server logs and then look through that and see how much traffic your site is receiving.  You could also ask your hosting provider what type of resources they are using to host your site to see how your hardware compares to what its currently running on and what you plan to move it to.  

One other thing you can do is turn on performance info ("perfdebug")  on our site and examine the data at is being produced on each page load.  It will give you an idea of what the server is/was doing when you loaded that page.  Again, this depends on how your hosting provider has your site setup (does db reside on same server as web server, etc?).

Good luck.