Group enrolment key during self enrolling issue

Group enrolment key during self enrolling issue

by Jacqui Binney -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all,

First posting here and new to Moodle so apologies if get terminology wrong - have scoured the forum and site, seen how helpful you good people are and am hoping you can assist. I have a course where use manual enrolment, and more than one instance of self enrolment (using self registration first) e.g. CompanyA = 10 users, CompanyB = 15 users, in order to set the max limit of user numbers for each company. Use CompanyA as name for the instance and enter an enrolment key. This all works fine. I'm using Moodle 2.5.1 - and am reluctant to upgrade further at the moment.

Am having a problem with automatically assigning the users to the appropriate groups e.g. CompanyA group, as need to use this in course completion certificate plus to keep tidy smile Set the group enrolment key the same as self enrolment key. When I use the group enrolment key and, after self-registering and enter group enrolment key it's counting against the self enrolment but not assigning to any group at all, when I view it...

Have tried this... https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-42904 where ...

"The weird thing is that if you go into the groups page, select the relevant group and choose "edit group settings", then press save (without changing anything at all) then the user can self-enrol."

and have found that sometimes this works both self-enrolling and to the correct group, but mostly doesn't when I pretend to be a user. Not sure if related but can also use A key in B course - it will enrol to group correctly but then "steal" a user number from the wrong company!

All help gratefully received smile

Thanks,

Jacqui

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacqui Binney

Re: Group enrolment key during self enrolling issue

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Just a quick question before we go any further in invesigating this: are you able to manually enrol the users directly into their appropriate groups (so they don't have to self enrol ) or are the numbers too big for you to manage/or you don't know the names? See the documentation for manually enrolling users to groups here Upload users

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jacqui Binney -

Hello Queen of Moodle - have read many of your replies and thank you for your quick response.

I am able to manually enrol the users to groups using csv thanks but don't know the user's names in advance and ideally would like to provide a "buy a key for your company to train up a set number of users by completing a course as and when they need to" type of scenario. Thought had the solution when saw can limit the number of keys/users via the self enrolment option and that works well. It's just the pesky task of getting them correctly assigned to a group as is used in the course completion certificate.

A potential work around would be to try and use the company name they enter as part of the self-registration process instead of the group in the course completion certificate if what I'm struggling with isn't possible.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacqui

In reply to Jacqui Binney

by Peter Jonker -

I think i understand what you are trying to achieve and where your problem is. Set a key on the level of the self enrolment method, like 1234. Do not supply this key but is is needed to close down enrolment for people without a key. create your groups and set a different key for Each group not being 1234 but for example 5678 for group a and 7896 for b. Supply these keys to the groups. On self enrolling a user of group a will be asked to supply a key and will enter 5678. He will get enrolled and automatically be assigned to group a. Hope this helps? peter

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Jonker

by Jacqui Binney -

Thanks for you reply Peter - very helpful,

This now works and assigns to groups with supplying the group key only perfectly! smile

Not sure what the protocol is whether this should be a new thread or not but may I ask for help in solving the final piece of the puzzle please? When there is more than one self enrolment instance (being used as a student counter) presented, I have found a problem where e.g. the group key from CompanyA can be entered in the area marked for CompanyB: this enrols/assigns to group CompanyA correctly but steals a user license from CompanyB.

Would be most grateful for any assistance as am stuck! With this sorted I can have a holiday lol.

Jacqui