SSL Certificate for Moodle

SSL Certificate for Moodle

by Tim Childe -
Number of replies: 5

I've searched up and down for how to secure my Moodle site with SSL, everything I can find is starts AFTER getting the certificate and installing it.

I need to obtain a SSL certificate that I can use for Moodle, but I can't justify paying through the nose to secure what is only a small site, with parts as a test site to be moved later.

Problem is, I don't want to let anyone sign up to anything until I have SSL - which makes moodle useless, and it looks like my host wants to charge lots for this.

Advice please??

I've seen StartSSL Free (www.startssl.com) - will one of theirs do??

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Tim.C

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Childe

Re: SSL Certificate for Moodle

by Tim Childe -

One idea that just came to mind... has anyone had experience using a self signed certificate??

Free, but a hassle for the users.  My users wouldn't need the 3rd party trust for the site as it will be a private invitation only site anyway, just need some encryption to protect the data and to prevent hacking.

In reply to Tim Childe

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

If using shared hosting you're pretty much dependent on them anyway (unless it's Apache hosting and you can put your certificate stuff in .htaccess? Not tried).

If cost is that much of an issue, and you can't pass it on through what you're charging users, find a host that's cheaper on SSL? But you want reliability, so might have to bite the bullet. If it's education, you can probably get it cheaper but depends if you can send the hosting outfit a pre-purchased certificate package.

In reply to Dave Perry

by Tim Childe -

Can't pass on the cost, as the main use is for a charity that maybe able to justify the cost if it gets used, but is only just looking at a pilot roll out at the moment.

(I'm the treasurer of the charity, so I know there's no spare cash wink  )

I may contact my host as providing a 'one click install' package of software in a manner that is inherently insecure and so not fit for purpose is a bit naff.  Hopefully I'm missing something.

In reply to Tim Childe

by Gian van der Spuy -

I am using moodle on a Scientific Linux server (RHEL clone) with a self-signed certificate without any problems. The only difference is that the first time someone visits a secure page on my server, they have to download the certificate and allow a certificate exception in their web-browser.

In reply to Gian van der Spuy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Of course, a big part of using a 'real' certificate is that it confirms that you are who you say you are. A self-signed certificate still could be anybody. That (supposedly) is what you are paying for from the certificate issuer.