Assignment Feedback Email Notification being sent even though grade and feedback left blank

Assignment Feedback Email Notification being sent even though grade and feedback left blank

by James Henestofel -
Number of replies: 0

Moodle 2.4.4

An instructor contacted me today and said a student had received feedback about an assignment that they haven't completed nor has the teacher entered any Feedback for it.

From what I figured out is that when viewing an Assignment submission and Feedback is turned on.  You have the option of entering feedback that can be added for the submission and an email sent stating feedback has been left.

What has happened is that the instructor started at the top of their list and as they graded students click "save and show next".  Well they did this for students they weren't grading yet (which they shouldn't click save anyway) and the students received emails stating feedback had been left even though the instructor didn't leave any or grade the assignment.  Now this only happens once it seems as I can't replicate multiple times unless I create a new assignment and repeat for that student.  I'm assuming this is on purpose. 

Does this happen in newer versions or should I even worry about creating a bug report?

Average of ratings: -