Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per Juan Leyva -
Nombre de respostes: 35
Imatge Core developers Imatge Moodle HQ Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers

Hi,

due to some changes in Moodle 2.5 and 2.6, the feature named "Remote language sync" is not working currently now (it works for a short period of time as far as i Know)

I'm working in adding languages support directly in the app, so when you download the app it will come with some languages packages available

The app will detect your preferences or locale and will display the texts in your device language

If anyone has translated the app yet, please, reply this message attaching  your translation.

If you want to help, you can translate this file:

https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile/blob/master/lang/en.json

and also reply this message with your translation

Issue in the tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-489

Also, if anyone has technical suggestions about how to handle RTL languages, it will be appreciated

Regards

Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Juan Leyva

Re: Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per Juan Leyva -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Moodle HQ Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers

Translation to spanish is done Somrient

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Juan Leyva -

Please, if you submit a translation, I need also the name of the translation language in your own language... I mean for Spanish (Español) , italian (Italiano) etc...

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Juan Leyva -

Swedish "Svenska" translation received Somrient

By the way, finally we are going to use AMOS for translating the APP, I will create a new plugin only with the language strings

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Juan Leyva -

Hi,

language strings are available in AMOS, please, search for the component "local_moodlemobileapp"

In any case, please, send me a message or post a reply if you contribute with a new language in AMOS

Regards

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Germán Valero -
Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

Hi Juan,

Mexican spanish language translation for local_moodlemobileapp now available in AMOS.

I made a few (mostly minor) changes from the international spanish pack you wrote.

Saludos desde México,

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Nicolas Martignoni -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

Hi,

I'm in for the french translation.

Cheers, Nicolas

En resposta a Nicolas Martignoni

per Nicolas Martignoni -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

The french translation is in attachment.

Thanks Jean-Marc for the proposition (but this was fast already completed).

per Nicolas Martignoni -

For clarification: this was also uploaded into AMOS.

Cheers, Nicolas

per Juan Leyva -

Thank you very much Nicolas, currently languages available are:

English

Spanish

Catalan

Swedish

French

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per koen roggemans -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Moodle HQ Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Translators

Dutch is also in AMOS.

By using AMOS, the language file for the mobile app is in the lang folder of every site.  There is now a file local_mobileapp.php. It would be great if the app pulled the language file from there and would use that file. It would in one go make it possible to make site specific language changes to the app. The app would only have to ship with a few strings in every language - just enough to make it possible to add a site and log in with an account. On first login, the file could be pulled in - just dreaming now Somrient

I wonder why moodlemobilereport@gmail.com is in the language pack. I find it a bit weird that the report email address is configurable, especially by the language pack maintainer.

That said, you might end up getting email with bug reports in quite hard to understand languages Somrient

Thanks a lot for this wonderfull app! 

En resposta a koen roggemans

per Séverin Terrier -
Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

Hi,

I think it's really a good idea to use the local language pack from the site you're connecting to, allowing to have personnalised strings.

But it should be done only for the local changes (not the whole original language pack), keeping downloading the language pack from AMOS (or have in in the app), to be sure to have the latest version (for the case of sites where the language pack has not been updated for a while).

Séverin

En resposta a Séverin Terrier

per Juan Leyva -

Hi,

originally the idea was that, to have a language pack in your Moodle installation so you can personalize your strings.

Due some changes in Moodle core related to components and language packs we finally decided to include the language packs in the app bundle

But I think that it can not be complicate to detect if you have the local plugin installed and grab the strings from there.

Regards

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Michel DENIS -

Juan,

I see that one year has passed since you mentioned "grabing modified strings from Moodle instal" : is it possible these days ?

Thanks,

-michel

En resposta a Michel DENIS

per Juan Leyva -

Hi Michael,

I'm very sorry but we disabled that feature because it was problematic, currently you cannot customize the app strings unless you build your custom app

Regards, Juan

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per MARCOS PAULO BRITO DE SOUSA -

Translation to brazilian portuguese (portugês-Br) is done and aproved by maintainer: " Language pack maintainer André  Yamin has accepted your contributed translation #8118 pt-br Moodle Mobile translation."
Could you add this translation to next version of Moodle Mobile please?
I am not sure if a did translate all the files needed in order to make the app works fully in portuguese. Could you tell me which files is demanded for so?

En resposta a MARCOS PAULO BRITO DE SOUSA

per Ewout ter Haar -

Marcos, Juan,

I updated to the last version of the Moodle Mobile App (1.9) but still do not see a Portuguese (or pt_BR for that matter) option in the Settings / General / Language menu. How does it work, you need to import the translation manually into the App?

Also, in AMOS there is only a M2.6 version of local_moodlemobileapp for pt_BR. Is that important?

En resposta a Ewout ter Haar

per Juan Leyva -

Oh, that was a bug.

The portuguese (brazil) language was not declared as available in the app settings file.

I'm fixing it, it will be available for next version

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Ralf Krause -
Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Translators

Hi Juan,
I updated some text strings of the german language file local_moodlemobileapp in AMOS.
How will I get the new strings into the Moodle Mobile App? Is there any update procedure implemented in the app? Or will we get the newer text strings when you release the next app version?

Thanks,
Ralf

En resposta a Ralf Krause

per Juan Leyva -

Hi Ralf,

thanks for translating.

There is an automatic update procedure, before any app release it synchronizes translations from AMOS to the app

Regards

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Ralf Krause -
Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Translators

Hi Juan,

does this mean that the new strings are integrated into the next app version. 

I found a setting "Enable synchronization of language files" in the app. What does this mean? Is there another feature to send some language strings to the app?

Ralf

En resposta a Ralf Krause

per Juan Leyva -

Hi Ralf,

yes, new strings are integrated.

That feature (syncrho of lang files) was used by old versions of the app, it's there for backward compatibility reasons

Regards

En resposta a Juan Leyva

回复: Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per gx jiagx -

Hi Juan,

I have updated  strings of the Chinese (Simplified ) (zh_cn) language file  local_moodlemobileapp in AMOS. now it is available in AMOS.

Thanks

En resposta a gx jiagx

Re: 回复: Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per Juan Leyva -

Thanks for your work! Updated strings will be available for next version

En resposta a Juan Leyva

回复: Re: 回复: Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per jianjun xie -

Hi, Juan! Simplified Chinese(简体中文)is now available at Amos.

I've completely translated all the new and missing strings for the latest Moodle Mobile 1.7 via AMOS  and corrected some mistakes found in the already-translated strings. For the past few years, I've contributed Chinese translations to a good many of  plugins of Moodle and many Chinese Moodle fans from my QQ Groups and forums have benefited from my work. Even so, I know my translation is not perfect. If there are any mistakes , please let me know and update. 

Juan, millions of thanks for your effor and time in Moodle Mobile. When will the next release come out ?

En resposta a jianjun xie

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Moodle Mobile translation to other languages

per Juan Leyva -

Hi jianjun,

thanks for contributing translating the app!

Next release is planed for the next Monday 10th November (Android releases are published in hours, iOs may take long, same for Windows)

Cheers, Juan

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Yussuf Yussuf -

Hi,

I'm student at the State University of Zanzibar (Bachelor in Computer Science).

Currently, i'm working on customizing the moodle mobile for my university, and i got a problem when trying to add new language strings (Swahili language string).

I followed this link https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_Mobile_Plugins_Development but the app doesn't start. I added the file to a new plugin.

But i though simple was to add new file which has the translated string to the lang directory , and add the name to the config file, but the app run, when i tried to change the language to swahili option it fail to change the Language and fail to open if i wont change to the english again.

While looking for a help, i found this site and understand that there are so many contributors who made translation.

The file is not yet full translated (like 10 lines left unchanged). And i would like to know if the added language must be available to the server as well, or what cause the the swahili strings not to be loaded in the app.

Sorry for my poor english, and if i post this to the wrong Place

Yussuf

En resposta a Yussuf Yussuf

per Juan Leyva -

Hi,

can your share with me your translated .json file?

I will try to load that language in my development version

Cheers, Juan

En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Yussuf Yussuf -
Yes, i attached the .json document on the post i made.

I attached again in this post.

Thank you for your reply.
En resposta a Juan Leyva

per Teguh Dwicaksana -

Translation to Indonesia (id) is completed.

En resposta a Teguh Dwicaksana

per Juan Leyva -

Hi Teguh,

thanks for the translation, but unfortunately this post is quite old and the translation system in the app has changed.

In any case, it should be very easy to you to translate the app via the AMOS tool in moodle: https://lang.moodle.org/ you must look for the local_moodlemobileapp component for Moodle version 2.6

Alternatively, you can translate the new json file, you can download the latest english version from here: https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile-phonegapbuild/blob/master/build/lang/en.json

Juan