Restructuring moodle test engine

Restructuring moodle test engine

by Nawin Balasubramani A -
Number of replies: 12

I have a requirement of making the test more interactive so that i need to evaluate the answers give by the test taker dynamically and i have to give him the next set of questions based on his response from the previous one. To attain this goal I tried some plugins available in here but nothing meet our expectation so guys let me know the packages or the API's that I might need to modify to attain my requirement. and I am using moodle 2.6.1 windows and linux versions

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nawin Balasubramani A

Re: Restructuring moodle test engine

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which bits of the code and documentation have you looked at so far?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Nawin "I have to give him the next set of questions based on his response from the previous one"

The Lesson activity does just that. Have you tried using it rather than "re-invent" the Quiz activity?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Thank you joseph

I am trying to make the test like CAT patten  for better understanding my scenario first i ll be giving the test taker some simple "set" questions of out of the response given by the user i have to evaluate the response and give him the next level of complexity questions if the expectations are not up to the mark the next set of questions should be from the same level. am i clear or need some better specific information ??

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This sounds like a description of adding conditions to the quiz or branching according to the grades previously achieved. Is my interpretation correct?

You can see some of the documentation here

In reply to Marcus Green

Thanks Marcus

you are close but my requirement is not "only" based on the grades previously achieved but also the the questions that the test taker has responded during the test.

and the link throws me an error

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here is a link to one of the best examples that I have ever found showing the flexibility of the Moodle quiz engine.  I think you will find that it is worth logging into Jamiep's Moodle, and looking at this.

http://jamiep.org/mod/quiz/attempt.php?attempt=237

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Rick, the link says:

Sorry, guests cannot see or attempt quizzes

Would you like to log in now with a full user account?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is now a more up-to-date version of that quiz on http://www.open.edu/openlearnworks/course/view.php?id=1581.

To do the quiz, you will need to register for an account on the site, but hopefully, as Rick says, it is worth the effort to attempt the Interact: An interactive tour of the Moodle Quiz.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Thanks Tim for the update, and sorry that I did not notice that you are a co-author.  I want to add that this quiz example "blows my mind".  I don't know how any other systems (Blackboard, Desire2Learn, etc.) can compete.  Maybe others will let us know if these other LMSs have anything better.  

By what method can I get a copy of this quiz to download into my own Moodle, if at all possible?  I guess that I would need the questions from the question back, but I have never moved "quizzes" around in my Moodle.  (Time to learn something new. smile)

@Joseph.  I guess that in each of these systems, you have to be register, which is free.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -

Actually, that site I linked to is not officially released yet. I am meant to be proof-reading it tonight, then we plan to formally announce it next week. You are getting a sneak preview. Not sure if we plan to let people copy the quizzes, or just attempt them on our site. I'll find out. (I think that everything on that site is suppose to be under a creative commons license.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Rick, there is nothing even in the same category as the Moodle quiz engine, free or paid for. I was recently using with someone using one of the big commercial VLE's and he asked can it do X, where X is something you would put somewhere in the top 5 vital things in a quiz engine and the answer was no.