Allow only admin to change enrolment settings

Allow only admin to change enrolment settings

by Alyssa Leonard -
Number of replies: 3

Hi. I'm using moodle 2.5.2. I'm trying to find a way to disable all but admins from being able to set up the enrolment settings when creating a course. We don't want course creators to be able to enable any form of enrolment for students because we want to make sure the course goes through a review before it's open for enrolment. If we only allow the admin the ability to change enrolment, they can ensure that it's disabled when the course is created and it isn't reenabled until the course is ready. 

Is there a way to do this? I've been testing out the user permissions, but maybe I just haven't found the right one yet. 

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alyssa Leonard

Re: Allow only admin to change enrolment settings

by ben reynolds -

HI Alyssa,

I don't think you want to disable enrollment. Not only do you want to do review of content, you also want to test as a student to see what a student sees and whether everything functions for a student.

Even if you are really talking about whether the course is open to students, you'll want your creators to be able to login as a student, and so will need to make the course open/visible or closed/hidden.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Alyssa Leonard -

Thanks for the reply!

Once the course creator has completed their course, it will be sent back to the admin for review. Then the admin will be able to manually enrol a test student account and test it. 

We're trying to avoid allowing the course creators to open it up for people to enrol before it has been reviewed. 

In reply to Alyssa Leonard

by ben reynolds -

I usually achieve success with "do not open this course" instructions by offering to bite the head off the offender. angry

No, actually, just telling people to not do something is usually sufficient, depending on how many people are involved and the level of trust. But, if you've got people making courses, you pretty much must trust them a lot.

I can envision a process of removing the course creator from the course and putting the course in a category where the course creator is not while the admin reviews, but that then requires a reverse process if the creator has missed something the admin can't supply.

I advocate for a virtual wooden ruler waving above the knuckles and a stern "Don't do that" as more efficient.