Assignment extension

Assignment extension

by Michael Campbell -
Number of replies: 11

Hi there

In Moodle there is a function for teachers to extend the due date of an assignment for an individual student. Can anyone tell me if this is doable with the Moodle plugin for Turnitin. If not how do I go about getting this done?

Michael Campbell   

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Campbell

Re: Assignment extension

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What version of Moodle?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Michael Campbell -

by Damyon Wiese -
Turnitin has a few different assignment plugins, e.g. for the old Assignment 2.2, one that was a separate activity + a new one I haven't seen yet (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=252009).

If the turnitin plugin you are using is a plugin for the new assignment module - then it should work with individual student extensions - that's a core feature, not part of any plugin.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Michael Campbell -

Thanks Damyon

I wrote to Turnitin and they said you can't extend individual students? What version are you saying has an exension feature and I'll go back to them

Kind regards

Michael Campbell

by Damyon Wiese -
All versions of mod_assign have this feature (since it was added in 2.3).
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michael - the  "Turnitin Dan Marsden Moodle integration" (don't ask me who called it that...)  integrates with existing Moodle plugins such as the Moodle assignment module, workshop and forum modules. It adds an extra setting when creating the activity in your course that allows you to enable Turnitin within that activity.

The standard Moodle Assignment module (since 2.3) contains the feature you are looking for - and you can get the student submissions to send to Turnitin by using the "Dan Marsden Moodle integration" - the code for that plugin is available here:
https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=plagiarism_turnitin

BUT - if you aren't using that plugin already (which I presume you aren't) - you shouldn't install it as there is a new plugin coming from Turnitin that provides the same functionality but is released and supported directly by Turnitin - there are still a few small rough edges which should be ironed out within the next few weeks and there isn't any documentation for the new plugin yet (AFAIK) but that should come soon too.

More info on the new code is available via my blog post here:
http://danmarsden.com/blog/2014/01/15/new-turnitin-api/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Michael Campbell -

Hi Damyon

Does this include the Turniting plugin for Moodle?

Kind regards

Michael Campbell

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Michael - the feature exists in the Moodle core assignment module. You can get the Moodle core assignment module to pass files to turnitin using the "Dan Marsden Turnitin Moodle integration" plugin mentioned above.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Michael Campbell -

Hi Dan

Thanks for that. We'll wait for the new release and work on that.

Are you au fait with the Mahara plugins for Moodle - we are having database trouble with our current plugin

Kind regards

Michael Campbell

by Dan Marsden -

better to start a new thread about those issues in the Mahara forums.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Michael Campbell -
I tried that – no one seems to be reading them as there was no reply on the Mahara pages