How to force student participation before they proceed to next module?

How to force student participation before they proceed to next module?

by Chris Lee -
Number of replies: 13

In a MOOC course, I want to set it up so that, in order to proceed to the next module, a participant needs to make some sort of participation such as starting a new discussion topic or leaving a comment on another thread. Is there a built-in method or third-party plugin that can give me what I need?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Lee

Re: How to force student participation before they proceed to next module?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It depends on how you define "module". If you mean a topic, then Use Conditional activities

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Lee -

Thanks; before I dig into that tutorial, I want to make clearer what I want: the course has four weekly modules, each on a different topic, if a student does not make one comment and create one discussion topic, then he or she cannot view the next weekly module.

So, is conditional activity what I need?

In reply to Chris Lee

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If all of this is in one course, then yessmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Lee -

Ok, I enabled conditional activity, but in the restricted access section, I don't see where to set up activity-related conditions, such as forum discussions. I'm attaching screenshot of that section. Please advise. Thanks.

Attachment restricted access.png
In reply to Chris Lee

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Chris ,

First you need to enable completion tracking at course level. To enable it go to course setting page and then choose 'Yes' for completion tracking.

After that you can set the basic condition for the forum activity in the course to mark it as complete. Example - require view, number of post, topic etc.

After that go to course section setting and in Activity completion field option select the forum name from the drop down and must be marked complete.

Set up the setting like this it will work.

In reply to Chris Lee

by kathy chilvers -

Hi Chris

I would agree conditional activity.....I use with a course exactly in the way you want and it works well.

In reply to kathy chilvers

by Chris Lee -

With Sakshi's help I was able to enable the activity completion tracking, but I'm quite confused as to how this works:

Say, I want to make sure students post one discussion and one reply in Week 1 forum, otherwise Week 2 is grayed out and not available for viewing.

When I work on the conditional setting for Week 1 forum, I see two sections: Restrict access, Activity completion. So, I assume I need to set the desired settings for Activity completion, but then I have two questions:

1. What do I need to do in the Restrict access section?

2. How do I know for sure how these settings are affecting (restricting) the Week 2 module? I don't see anywhere on that setting page as to how this works, and I'm not able to test it before rolling it out to the whole class.

In reply to Chris Lee

by Christine Healey -

Hi Chris - I have enjoyed the facilities provided by Completion tracking, and I'm using a combination of optional completion tracking so students can tick off when they have done or read something, and auto-completion, with some restricted activities.

I've added two screenshots

The first shows the setting for auto-completion tracking in a Forum called 'Volunteer Management Qualifications - start here' that my students must post to before they are allowed to see the first section of the course. The Forum setting is 'Each person posts one discussion', so they have to start a discussion to be able to see the next section of the course. I think you cannot have both 'create discussion' and 'post reply' as separate completion activities.

Completion setting for forum

The second screenshot shows the restriction settings for the next section of the course. If you choose 'Show section greyed-out, with restriction information' as here, the student can see the activity, with instructions on what they have to do before they can access it.

settings to restrict access

To test your settings, set up a 'test learner' with a dummy email and enrol them on the course.

In reply to Christine Healey

by glen baldo -
Just say it they must participate or else they will not learn, you can proceed in next module but consider it that student have learn before you force to another topic

by Chris Lee -

Thanks for the screenshots. Now I'm getting the idea: you must set activity requirement for something in Week 1, then in Week 2 you specify that something in Week 1 must be completed. I'll give it a try.

by Chris Lee -

I have a basic but important question: If I specify student must make new topic or reply, then is this rule applying to individual students, or if it applies to the students as a group? The difference being, is it that one student makes a new discussion and the condition is met and all other students have access to next module, or if each student needs to make his or her own new discussion or reply so as to access next module?

by Chris Lee -
Has it happened to anyone using conditional access that one student finishes the required activity but the next module still grays out for her? Whereas it seems to be working for other students.
In reply to Chris Lee

by Paula Clough -

Chris,

The settings are for each individual student in the course.  When an individual completes the activity, then they can go on. (Feb 11 question).

Make sure that the student has actually fulfilled the activity.  They might need to finish the post and then return to the course page, not by backing up in the browser but through the links at the top of the page.  Also have them refresh their page. Sometimes a browser will save the old view of a page and with a refresh they will see the next section.  (Feb 18 question).

cool