Brand new installation of Moodle, full installation on Windows - "This webpage has a redirect loop"

Brand new installation of Moodle, full installation on Windows - "This webpage has a redirect loop"

by Point Right -
Number of replies: 16

I am getting the 

This webpage has a redirect loop

error that others have described, on a fresh, third try, installation on Windows. I have no idea what I am doing wrong here. Using the 2.6.1 latest and greatest as downloaded yesterday.

Can anyone help me out or tell me what addition information I need to provide in order to help with troubleshooting?

Thank you,

Erik

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Point Right

Re: Brand new installation of Moodle, full installation on Windows - "This webpage has a redirect loop"

by Puneet Kaur -

even i experienced the same error ..

In reply to Point Right

Re: Brand new installation of Moodle, full installation on Windows - "This webpage has a redirect loop"

by Janice Macaspac -

I have the same error. I have already cleared and allowed cookies as per advised by the error handler hint, but still does not seem to work.

The message prompts after i have edited the Front page setting, by the time i click home, the problem occurs and cant proceed to anything.

In reply to Point Right

by Janice Macaspac -

To add details on the mentioned error. Here is the feedback reflected in my browser after clicking home or logout

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

In reply to Janice Macaspac

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What do the web server error logs say?

In reply to Jon Witts

by Janice Macaspac -

Attached are the few last lines when the error occurred. Same error appeared after installing it for the 5th time. I have also used different versions and different browsers in installing it, but was not successful.

In reply to Janice Macaspac

by Pavel Krejci -

Just a guess - try deleting the "cache" and "localcache" subfolders in your moodledata folder. Then reload Moodle in your browser.

If it doesn't help, try to install Moodle 2.4.x.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Pavel Krejci

by Rohit Gupta -

Whats the point trying 2.4 when you have newer versions, moreover support for 2.4 will go away soon.

I have tried following so far without any success,

• Deleting, cookies
  • Deleting Cache
  • Tried Multiple browsers IE, FF, Chrome (has third party cookie permission)
  • Reinstalling Xampp and Sql,
  • Tried version 2.6.1 and 2.5.4

Nothing above worked

Anybody, any solution to this problem?

In reply to Rohit Gupta

by Brittany Jones -

sorry haven't got that problem myself

In reply to Rohit Gupta

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Have you checked the file permissions? The user that the web server (Apache in your case) is running under must be able to write to your Moodle application and Moodledata folders.

In reply to Pavel Krejci

by Flavio Argueta -

deleting the "cache" folder from server/moodledata on a local moodle 2.6 installation worked for me after two days of looking for an answer.

Thanks a bunch!!!

In reply to Flavio Argueta

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Was that (deleting the "cache" folder) necessary? Did you first check that folders' permissions and confirm that the IIS/Apache user has write access to it?

In reply to Point Right

by Jonathan Ambler -

I'm having the same problem, and I don't know if this will help because I haven't fixed the problem myself, but my tech guy thinks it has to do with the apache config file. Hopefully I will have more later.

In reply to Jonathan Ambler

by Krishan Babbar -

I am also having the same issue.

I am using IOMAD on windows. Version details are given below

$version = 2013051404.01; // 20130514 = branching date YYYYMMDD - do not modify!
// RR = release increments - 00 in DEV branches
// .XX = incremental changes

$release = '2.5.4+ (Build: 20140117)'; // Human-friendly version name

$branch = '25'; // this version's branch
$maturity = MATURITY_STABLE; // this version's maturity level

It seems repeated redirection on same file i.e. /admin/index.php at line # 484 (given below)

// Now we can be sure everything was upgraded and caches work fine,
// redirect if necessary to make sure caching is enabled.
if (!$cache and !optional_param('sesskey', '', PARAM_RAW)) {
    redirect(new moodle_url($PAGE->url, array('cache' => 1)));
}

Regards,

Krishan

In reply to Krishan Babbar

by Krishan Babbar -

I got the solution for me.

After deleting "cache" folder from "iomaddata" folder, it works fine.

Regards,

Krishan

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Did you try purging the Moodle caches (Site administration / Development / Purge all caches) before deleting that cache folder? Deleting stuff in the Moodle data folder can have unintended consequences...

by andy doe -

Hi Krishan Babbar, i will be really grateful if you can tell me how you got a windows install version of IOMAD, or if you can share a link to it, i will be very grateful. I have searched for days for it but got no answer. Thank you in advance Krishan.