MOODLE upgrade from 1.9.4 to 2.6

MOODLE upgrade from 1.9.4 to 2.6

by shrikant gakhare -
Number of replies: 6

Dear Moodlers,

We have 1.9.4 MOODLE running now. We want to upgrade it to 2.6 moodle version. Please help us with some manual on this sequential moodle upgrade. Can you given us step by step process. We have 5 GB of database. Modledata is separate than db (15 GB).

Upgrade is taking lot of time as we are facing issues with db upgrade.

Please provide some pointers on this forum or documented manual.

Regards,

Shrikant

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to shrikant gakhare

Re: MOODLE upgrade from 1.9.4 to 2.6

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Upgrading

You will need to go 1.9.4 -> 1.9.19 -> 2.2.x (latest) -> 2.6

Make sure you take backups at each stage and, ideally, test it on a copy of your site first. 

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You don't tell us much about the environment in which Moodle runs. You have a large database, so I would recommend you try this with command-line tools if you at all can. The command-line tools won't be subject to the web site timeout issues. Still, the database is large, so it will be slow, especially when you upgrade from 1.9.19+ to 2.2.x(latest). As Howard says, take it one step at a time. Make sure you have complete backups before you start each step. And make sure it's running correctly after each step. The only way to downgrade is to restore from backup, so if you have to do that, you'll lose anything that was done between the upgrade and the restore. Hopefully you won't have to.

So... on to step 1--upgrade to 1.9.19+. I don't see a cli method for upgrading 1.9.19+, so that one you'll have to do on the web interface. Hopefully it won't time out. If you can, make sure your php and website timeout are set high enough to allow it to complete.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Lloyd sewell -

Hello Brett

Many thanks for your feedback

I am in the mioddle of upgrading from 1.9.2 to 2.0.1

I am here

How do I update these plugins

Many thanks

Lloyd

In reply to Lloyd sewell

by Bret Miller -

I cannot stress enough that you NEED to upgrade to 1.9.19+ before you upgrade to 2.x. There were changes in later 1.9.x versions that fix upgrade problems. If you don't do that upgrade first, you'll have a mess.

As for plugins, you'll need to check each add-on that is not part of core Moodle for a version that is compatible with the version you are upgrading to. You'll need to do that at each step in the process because one that is compatible with Moodle 2.6 is unlikely to be compatible with Moodle 1.9.19+. We use very few add-ons here and even with that we ended up dropping all the add-ons except 1 when we upgraded to Moodle 2.x. The upgrade to Moodle 2.x is not pain free, and you may find you have add-ons that are simply "dead" and must be replaced with something else, or have been replaced by core improvements.

The same is true for themes. We use a theme that is part of core Moodle so we got to keep the theme, but many settings changed in the upgrade to 2.x and while the look is similar, it is not exactly the same as it was in Moodle 1.9.

Once you do the 1.9.19+ upgrade and it works, you can upgrade from there to 2.2.11 without going through the intermediate versions.

In reply to Bret Miller

by shrikant gakhare -

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the guidance.

Please elaborate more on upgradation through command-line from 1.9.19 to 2.2.11. 

Following issues we are facing in 1.9.19 to 2.2.11.

1.  During quiz upgrade, the process get stuck or query keep running while fetching data from table mdl_question_state, and mdl_question_session. After refreshing , same query runs.

How to restore course back up along with user data from 1.9.19 to 2.2.11?

If I upgrade without course data, the upgrade is successful. (With course data, upgrade fails)

I am able to restore only course data (files [pdf,ppt etc], questions).

Best Regards,

Shri

by Bret Miller -

The command-line update isn't subject to timeouts like the web-based version. Move from 1.9.x to 2.x was where I had to switch because the upgrade just took too long. So the basic command to upgrade on the command line after you install the new files is:

php admin/cli/upgrade.php --non-interactive

The assumes there is only one version of php, or that you've configured your environment so that the php command pulls the same version as the web server. In some hosting environments, you'll need to specify the full path to php to get the right version.

The upgrade WILL take a LONG time if you have a reasonable number of students. I'm sure we had less than 100 when I did that upgrade and it still took a long time. The big sticking point is the quiz data. In theory you can skip upgrading that during the upgrade and upgrade it after. I don't recall how to do that if you need to, but I know it's documented somewhere and was in the discussions here quite frequently when I did it about a year after 2.0 was released.