Can I make an unlisted page?

Can I make an unlisted page?

by John Addis -
Number of replies: 1

Here's the dilemma.  We have to send students to an offline course, but somehow record whether or not they passed the offline course in our Moodle LMS as well.  The offline course developer says they can provide a link at the end of the offline course which can go wherever we like, and suggested that we set that link to an unlisted web link which would trigger our moodle to generate a certificate at that time.  Since a student couldn't get at that link without completing the offline course, they couldn't find it by themselves.  Yes, it's not totally foolproof from a security standpoint (since theoretically a clever student might figure out that the link could be shared with someone else), but we believe that would be unlikely given the small number of students this affects.

I know I can create an area in Moodle that, upon a student view, becomes automatically "complete".  I know I can auto-generate a certificate for a student on the condition of "completing" a certain thing.  So theoretically, if I had a way to create a page in my moodle course that was live but unlisted, I could accomplish this goal.  

As far as I can tell, however, a page or item in a course is either in "show" or "hide" mode.  When in "hide" mode, even a direct link will not show the content except when logged in as a master admin.  An "unlisted" mode is really what I'd be looking for, but I don't see anything like that.

Does anyone know either (1) how to make an unlisted page as described above, or (2) any other way of accomplishing the goal of having an external site trigger a page view, completion, or cert gen?  (For example, a passcode shown at the end which could be typed into Moodle to generate a cert?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Addis

Re: Can I make an unlisted page?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Add an extra section to the moodle course, then create the page in that section. Make all your conditions and so on based on that page. Then tell the course to display one less section again so that the page goes into 'Orphaned activities'

Orphaned activities are not shown in the student view of the course (ie they are what you have called unlisted), but resources there are not 'hidden' in the same way as those hidden using the eye icon - they remain available through urls and links.

HTH

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (2)