Manual Enrolment: Confirming what happens upon unenrol

Manual Enrolment: Confirming what happens upon unenrol

by Dan Olson -
Number of replies: 4

Background: we're running Moodle 2.5 and using manual enrolment for our courses with an external database managing authentication. We have a single set of courses that are always available. Users purchase access to the course for a set period of time. So the courses are never "over" but rather always running and students come and go. 

When a new user purchases access their are enrolled in a course and set to expire after a set time period (usually one year) but may renew for successive periods if they choose. 

Here is my question: what happens to the users' data when they are "un-enroled" from the course? I am asking the question because based on what I read in the forums and elsewhere quite -- quite consistently I might add --  is that if the action on expire is set to "unenrol" then all user data (quizzes, assignments, grades, completion, etc.) will be PURGED!  We would like to make sure that all the users' data is PRESERVED and that any user may re-enrol at any time and pick up where they left off. Is this possible? What is actually happening when a user is "un-enroled?"

We have tested this and we find that we can un-enrol a user, then re-enrol them a day later and they seem to recover all their work -- including their completion data. So what actually happens seems to run counter to what everyone says will happen. (We do have disablegradehistory unchecked and gradehistorylifetime set to "never delete," which may be helping.) However when they are un-enroled they disappear from the gradebook and all of our course reports. (As if they never existed, which is not desired.) 

Heading off the suggestions... we have also tested changing the action to "disable course enrolment and remove roles." However, this seems to be even worse because re-enroling users requires two manual actions: changing the user from "suspended" to "active" and (re)assigning them the role of "student." I can see no advantages to this method over "unenrol." Am I missing something? 

What is our desired action? When a user "expires" they should no longer have access to the course. However, we would like to maintain their grades, activity, assignments, etc. for two reasons: 1) to run usage reports that accurately reflect course activity, and 2) to allow them to re-enrol at a later date and pick up where they left off. Is this outcome possible? If it is, I have yet to find the solution. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Olson

Re: Manual Enrolment: Confirming what happens upon unenrol

by Dan Olson -

I have an update to my own question. We are testing amember to control member access to moodle (as our ecommerce back end). If you're not familiar with amember, they have a Moodle plugin that allows it to connect directly to the Moodle database. Essentially it can tell Moodle which courses to give a user access to. 

We have tested setting enrolment expiration action (in manual enrolments) to "unenrol," "disable and remove roles" and "keep user enroled." In each case, the outcome is the same: when their subscription expires in amember, their access to the course is removed and they are removed from course reports. When they renew or re-subscribe their access is restored and all their old posts, grades and activity are restored. 

Am I barking up the wrong tree by focusing on manual enrolments? We don't have ANY other enrolment plugins activated, so I had assumed this one was controlling expiration actions. But perhaps all this time we've been bypassing manual enrolments anyway? 

If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I wonder if the outcome is different if we set the user to "expire" in moodle? Again, our preferred action is that the user data is always maintained after expiration and restored upon renewal. 

In reply to Dan Olson

by Michael Lewis -

Dan,

Did you get anywhere with your research? I am investigating similar issues with the self-enrollment plugin. We have students whose self-enrollment expires after a certain period but it is not clear what data is 'lost' if any with un-enrollment, if the user re-enrolls. However, with some combination of settings ("unenroll," "disable and remove roles" and "keep user enrolled") when the user is un-enrolled, they are still listed in the course but cannot re-enroll themselves at all.

In reply to Dan Olson

by Javier Angeles -

Hi Dan, I'm not sure if you're aware of this (applies to release 2.6, yours is 2.5 I think) :

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37974

And please let us know what happened with your research... I'm facing something similar to you.

Thanks a lot!

In reply to Javier Angeles

by vinod v -

I was using external database enrolment plugin and it seems that the users previous completion data has been restored when they try to reenrol in to the course after some time (may be 3 or 6 months). This is contradicting as to what said in forums that some user data is lost when they unenrol. I assume that the user data might be grades.

Just wondering if my statement is right or did i have to change some settings so that the completion results (both activity and course) gets purged once they unenrol from the course. 

Could someone help in the issue?

Thanks