Creating a new role

Creating a new role

by Richard Layman -
Number of replies: 9

Hello All,

I've build a course configured as "Separate Groups" so that each group can only see their own.  I'm trying to create two new roles for each group, a very basic 'learner' and 'proctor'.  I don't want either to be able to modify the course in any way, but want the proctor to be able to see and export learners' lesson and quiz grades.  I've based both on the 'student' archetype and attempting to elevate proctor's permission to do so, but not having any luck yet.  Role permissions has so many elements, I don't know which to allow so the proctor can view and export learners' grades.  Any ideas?

In reply to Richard Layman

Re: Creating a new role

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Basically allow the proctor the following:  View Grader Report and View Grades of Other Users.  Allow Export Grades.  And then Allow them access to whatever kind of Grade export e.g.User Excel Grade Export.  

I also give my proctor view only access to the course page and view only access to the activities so that they see what their students need to complete.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Richard Layman -

Thank you Emma,

I've allowed View Grader Report, Export Grades, View Grades of Others, and allowed export of grades in various formats, i.e., OpenDoc, XML, Text, etc.  In the 'Context types where this role may be assigned' I've selected Course and Activity Module.  I configured these several days ago.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you enroll the proctor in the course?  Have you given them access to view the course?

by Richard Layman -

I've configured the group to assign the role of 'Learner' when enrolling by email with group key.  I enrolled the proctor by email as 'Learner' and then elevated her role to 'Proctor' via enrolled users.  So, I now have a learner and a proctor in the group.  I've completed a quiz in the role of learner to test the export grade permission.  I then logged out and back in as the proctor and still unable to see or export grades.  I then logged out and back in as Admin and still unable to see or export completed quiz.  I now think maybe I've set up the group wrong.

by Emma Richardson -

1. Make sure that your Learner Group is a gradeable role.  This is found in Grade settings.

2. Make sure that your proctor is in the same group as the students and does not have both roles, just the proctor role.

3.  What can the proctor see?  Can they get to the grader report and there are no students there?  Do you have the permission See Other User's grades set to allow?

by Richard Layman -

Regarding your #1:  Not sure how to render this group as gradable.  I've gone back to Groups, Edit Groups and find no option to make it gradable.  Have searched "Grade Settings" and it takes me to SCORM Packages with nothing else.

Regarding your #2:  My Proctor is in the same group and maintains only the Proctor role.

Regarding your #3:  The Proctor call pull up reports, but there are no students (learners) listed.  I do have Proctor's role set to 'View Other User's Grades'>

by Emma Richardson -

You need to make the role gradeable not the group.  In the grade settings under admin, there is a way to select which roles are gradeable.  Make sure that your new student role is selected and hopefully this should fix it.