Help with groups/permissions etc.

Help with groups/permissions etc.

by Luc Meredith -
Number of replies: 2

Hi guys,

Basically, we have 3089 users registered through our Moodle site, majority being students, with the rest being course teachers/staff. I've had a read through of the support documents on this site, but unfortunately they don't address my particular issue.

As the users were dragged from AD, there isn't really much on their profiles other than their names, and either their Student ID (Along the lines of A12345, B23456 etc.), or staff codes (Such as mine, LME). Is there any way of organising these users into two or three different groups without the need of sitting and manually moving/placing each one? The main reason for moving users is to create different permissions at a group level, meaning they won't see parts of our Moodle site which are for teachers only/governers only.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or knows of helpful kb articles relating to this I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks, 
Luc.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luc Meredith

Re: Help with groups/permissions etc.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Different parts of the site can be hidden using a variety of enrolment plugins, for example using an external database or flat file (depends on how frequently the list changes) to enrol your staff/governors onto the courses/pages that you want them to have access to and not allowing manual enrolment or self enrolment onto those same course pages, so students cannot be 'accidentally' enrolled onto them.

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Enrolment_plugins

In reply to Luc Meredith

Re: Help with groups/permissions etc.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can use the csv upload to separate your users into cohorts which might serve your needs.  You need to create the cohort/s first and then add a column cohort1 to your csv file and add the numeric id of the appropriate cohort.  Then go through the upload user process but make sure that you have Update Existing Users selected.  If you don't have your users in an excel/csv file, use a utility like Adminer to export the info directly from the database.