Teacher as a student

Teacher as a student

by Bala Sivagnanam -
Number of replies: 6

I have moodle configured for an enterprise solution as a part of my student project. Here I would like to have anyone who has access to moodle to create course and take up course.. For this I have made enrolment as manual..

But to avoid so much of mess in the site. I am thinking of having manager kind of user who can create course and assign teacher to it.. so the person assigned as teacher will create the lessons and other activities inside the course..this is to have better control on the application content...

Can this be acheived in moodle.. please help.. thanks in advance...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bala Sivagnanam

Re: Teacher as a student

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is a very sensible solution. You can investigate the Manager role for this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Pieter van der Hijden -

I have two suggestions, one for incidental need to create a course, one for bulk handling:

If you want to create courses when users ask for it, please look at the Course Request page in Site Admin. If you enable Course Request, every user may ask for a course and has to fill in some details in the course request form. After submitting this form, the system sends it to the manager you had in mind. The latter reviews the form and if he/shee accepts it the course is created automatically, including adding the person who requested it as teacher.

If you want to create courses in bulk, create a sprteadsheet with course short name, course long name, course category, teacher user name, split it into two separate spreassheets one for "Upload courses" (from Moodle 2.6) to create the courses, and one for "Upload users" to give existing users the role of teacher in their own course.

In reply to Pieter van der Hijden

by Bala Sivagnanam -

thanks a lot.. I have one more doubt... 

If i follow this way how will i be able to assign someone as teacher at course level. I am not able to locate that option to set roles at course level. Please advice. I think if that can be done the issue is solved.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In your csv file, just create a column headed role1 (to coincide with course1 for the course you are enrolling them in) and then add the numeric id for the teacher role into that column.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bala Sivagnanam -

Emma, Thanks...

But what is the case if I am not using excel to create courses and will be creating them one by one using moodle user interface.. how do i add roles at course level.

If i want to do this. what would be the role at system level should I remove system level roles for those users?

To Others,

My requirement is, one user manages the courses... all other users are at same level. When they need courses.. they ask manager to create a course and then he can assign them to that course and the course will be edited and added contents, lessons all that... others can see the course and if they want , they can enroll for the course..

What I could see is roles assigned at system level as student or teacher.. but not at course level... even at context level i could see it to be possible for categories...

Please advice..

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Create the course, go to Course Administration, Enrolled users.  Here you can enroll users and assign them to the appropriate role