HotPot reports page always says "Nothing to display"

HotPot reports page always says "Nothing to display"

by Jim Ranalli -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Gordon, 

I'm trying to access reports for HotPot activities I've created in a Moodle 2.6. course but am running into problems. 

I can see some data is being saved data if I click on "HotPots" from the Activities block, as shown below. 

But when I try to access reports for any activity through the "View reports" links or through the links in the Navigation block, the page always says "Nothing to display", as shown here. 

Any ideas?

Thanks as always, 

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Ranalli

Re: HotPot reports page always says "Nothing to display"

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Jim,
could you send me a backup of just the TaskChain tables in your databases, that is to say all the tables that contain "taskchain" in their name? I don't need the "user" table or the "course" table or anything like that. Just the "taskchain" tables.

Please put them in a zip file and put them somewhere that I can download them. Then send me an email with the URL of where I can download them from: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jim Ranalli -

I'll contact my admin, Gordon.

To clarify, you want the TaskChain tables, not the HotPot tables, right?

And downloading the zip file from a link is preferable to an email attachment?

Best,

Jim

In reply to Jim Ranalli

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry Jim,
I didn't read your original message carefully enough. I see now you were talking about HotPot.

I am not 100% sure but I think the first page reports ALL attempts including "in progress" attempts, but the second page does not report "in progress" attempts. Does that sound possible?

I may be able to decipher more from the HotPot tables (not TaskChain tables), if you would like to send them to me. I suggested send only a link because that may be easier than sending a large zip file. If the zip file is not too big, then by all means send it as an attachment.

regards
Gordon

by Rebecca O'Connell -

I'm a Moodle admin for the site being discussed, and I looked at our error logs. Attempting to get a report results in a "PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$modinfo in [path to moodle install]/mod/hotpot/lib.php on line 491, referer: [moodle site url]/course/search.php?search=[Jim Ranalli's user id]" error, followed by a large number of "array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given in [path to install]/mod/hotpot/lib.php on line 500, referer: [moodle site url]/course/search.php?search=[Jim Ranalli's user id]" errors.

In reply to Rebecca O'Connell

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Jim and Rebecca,

thank you for alerting me to this issue and for letting me examine your HotPot tables. It seems that none of the HotPot reports are displaying anything at the moment. I am investigating, and will report back in due course with my findings.

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Jim, Rebecca,
I found that one case the reports for a HotPot are not displayed is when there is no entry in the gradebook for the HotPot. I do not know if this is the case on your site, but anyway I have removed that restriction in the latest version of the HotPot module. This allowed me to see all the reports for the HotPot tables that you sent me.

However, I have a hunch that this there is some other issue at work here which I have not yet put my finger on, so I am continuing my investigation.

regards
Gordon

by Jim Ranalli -

Actually, that seems to have done the trick, Gordon. As soon as I made changed the Grade Weighting to something besides "No grade," the item appeared in the Gradebook and I was able to access the detailed reports for that HotPot.

Thanks!

Jim 

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Jim and Rebecca,
I spent a bit more time inspecting and experimenting with the HotPot tables you kindly made available.

I noticed that some of the HotPots have the "Grade weighting" set to zero. This has the effect of removing the HotPot from the gradebook. I think this was preventing the report pages from extracting database records, because they expected there always to be a gradebook item for each and every HotPot.

I have made several adjustments to resolve this issue.

• force the HotPot's gradebook entry to be removed if the its "Grade weighting" is zero
  • allow the HotPot reports to extract data from the database even if the HotPot is not in the gradebook
  • remove the "Grade" column and filter from HotPot report pages if the "Grade weighting" is zero

Please could you update your version of the HotPot module and see if these modifications improve the behavior of your HotPot reports. I would appreciate your feedback, because I may need to make similar adjustments to the TaskChain reports.

regards
Gordon

by Jim Ranalli -

We posted almost simultaneously, Gordon, so I hadn't seen your last message nor you mine. I'll ask Rebecca to update the module, but in the meantime we've got access to the data we need to start assigning these exercises in our linguistics courses. 

Thanks as always for your responsiveness and excellent work. 

Jim