Guest accessing by-passing self enrollment method?

Guest accessing by-passing self enrollment method?

by Sebastien M. -
Number of replies: 4
Hello everyone,

I just noticed that when self-enrollment and Guest access are enabled for a course, the latter circumvents registered users from self-enrolling to that specific course, i.e. they are not presented with the enrollment dialog before accessing the learning material. As a result, it is possible that duly registered participants are never enrolled in that course and hence, cannot access some of the activities that are reserved for “enrolled” students (default permissions are optimized for students and not authenticated users). Even if I open these activities to “authenticated users”, duly registered participants will be able to access that material but without being enrolled in that course.

Is this the normal behavior or am I missing something?

Another way to put it: is there a way to force the enrollment of users to access some activities, namely a lesson (i.e. be presented with the message “To perform that action you need to enrol in this course”).

I thank you in advance for your kind support.

Seb
p.s. using Moodle 2.3.1+
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sebastien M.

Re: Guest accessing by-passing self enrollment method?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Seb,

As you've found, some activities, such as lessons, allow people to view with guest access without being required to enrol. Other activities do prompt users to enrol, such as when clicking the reply link in a forum post. I'm just wondering your reasons for having both guest access and self enrolment enabled, and whether one solution might be to set a key for guest access, then anyone who doesn't know the key is forced to enrol?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sebastien M. -
Hello Helen,

Thank you for your prompt assistance. Both guest and self-enrollment are allowed because a specific course contains material that should be available to the general public (without any form of registration to the site) while some activities, like lessons and alike, are opened only to registered users.

The normal behavior, if I don’t allow guest access, will force the registered users to enroll into that course whereas if I also allow guest access, registered will not be forced to enroll anymore (and yet have access to all activities therein)…

What I am looking for is a way to force registered users to enroll in a course even if that course is open to guest access. Otherwise the following problems will arise: Without enrolling, registered users could go through the lesson activities but could not get their corresponding certificate (default permission) unless I open the certificate activities to all registered users in which case I would lose track of the users taking part to a specific course (not enrolled and yet participating)…

Can someone direct me to the correct API so I can tweak the lesson code to force all users to be enrolled?

I thank you in advance for your most valuable assistance,

Seb
In reply to Sebastien M.

by Glenn Sisson -

I have the same issue.

A course allows guest access to 2 presentations but if you want to take the SCORM quiz and get a certificate you need to be logged in.

Logged in users can complete the quiz but because they are not enrolled (or prompted to be enrolled), their scores are not recorded and can't get the certificate due to conditional settings.

I have the quiz hidden for guests and a label describing the requirements (logged in etc) but still would like to see them enrolled if viewing the course and logged in.

Any advise?

In reply to Glenn Sisson

by Nikki Humber -

Hi Sebastian and Glenn (and anyone else),

I have the exact same issue and I'm hoping that in the last two years this issue has been addressed.

To clarify, some of my courses are set to self-enrol only, some are both guest access and self-enrol. Only if a user self-enrols will they be able to get a certificate on completing the SCORM content. However with guest access also allowed for the course, the logged in user is not prompted to self-enrol on the course (whereas if guest access is not enabled for that course then they are).

I have included text instructions on the launch page (prompting the use to click on the Enrol me on this course link) but I'm looking for a better solution. Is there any way for logged in users to be prompted to self-enrol in courses with guest access in the same way that they are prompted for courses without guest access?

FYI - I'm using Moodle 2.6.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Nikki