Access to HotPot Activity

Access to HotPot Activity

by Maldwyn Pate -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

I've created a series of HotPot activities that I've put on our Moodle (v 2.1). I intended for them to be open to all, i.e. no need to have a username or password. They're not intended for assessment, just fun activities. Also a way of recruiting people to courses.

After setting them on the Moodle, however, I've discovered that, although access to the course is unrestricted, you need a password to access the individual exercises.  How can I enable open access to the exercises?  

Regards,

Mal

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Access to HotPot Activity

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If they are not intended for assessment (ie, you don't need the grades storing ) then instead of using the Hotpot activity module, you could just upload the htm files as they shouldn't require a log in to  be viewed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Access to HotPot Activity

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mal,

If you just have a few HotPot activities Mary's suggestion is fine, but if you have a lot you can organise their presentation using the Book activity. Here's an example: Limericks on a Moodle 2.5.3 site.

By the way, please note that I'm no longer updating that site (I've retired and no longer have students) and there lots of problems due to the move from Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2. I'm in the process of moving my exercises to a new WordPress site more adapted to my current objectives.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

Parthed: Re: Access to HotPot Activity

by Maldwyn Pate -

Many thanks Glenys,

That's a great suggestion. I've never tried the Book option. I'll have to do some research to find out how to use it. 

Regards,

Mal

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maldwyn Pate -

Many thanks Mary,

These exercises include images and audio files. Will I be able to load the folder (containing a .jcl and an .htm file, along with the .jpg and .mp3 files)? 

Regards,

Mal 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maldwyn Pate -

Sorry, Mary - a further quick question.

Does that mean that there is no way to disable the 'assessment' function in the HotPot plugin? 

Thank you,

Mal

In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: Parthed: Re: Access to HotPot Activity

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mal,

The object of the HotPot  and TaskChain modules is to integrate Hot Potatoes activities into Moodle so that students' scores are converted into Moodle grades (and many other ways of controlling the way students work through the exercises). They're wonderful for that. If this is not what you want, try Mary's suggestion or mine. Both our suggestions mean that images, audio and video files can be included.

The Book activity is very easy to learn to use (much simpler than Hot Potatoes itself and the HotPot and TaskChain modules) but actually integrating each Hot Potatoes exercise is quite time consuming if you want a specific link to each exercise.

Cheers,

Glenys