Number of replies: 8

I have a:

Moodle version Help with Moodle version
Moodle release Help with Moodle release
2.6+ (Build: 20131213)

Running on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server Patched to Service Pack 1
IIS 7

with PHP Version 5.3.24

I have another moodle server that uses the same SMTP box, and messages go out fine, so the SMTP server itself is not the problem.

When attempting to reset a password, the users simply doesn't get an e-mail.  There is no error message I can find.  Can I get a pointer as to where to start looking for the problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill McNutt

Re: Moodle 2.6 Server Won't Send E-Mail

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
  1. Are you sure PHP is configured the same on this server to allow it to send email?
  2. Is cron running on this Moodle install?
In reply to Bret Miller

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

Thank you all for your help smile

Work around found

after doing some reading in the forums I tried to do the following:

I tried to delete the lib/phpmailer and upload the original directory from the downloaded moodle package & restart the server- did not solve the problem

I tried to delete the lib/phpmailer and upload the original directory from the downloaded moodle package 2.5.3 & restart the server- did not solve the problem

only after taking the lib/phpmailer from version 2.4.7 and placing it instead of /lib/phpmailer of 2.6.0 it  problem solve...

I am not sure where the problem is, but something is wrong with the code.

In reply to Bill McNutt

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I normally start by making sure I can send email from the same server as Moodle (using some other mail client) through the same SMTP server. Most of the time I tend to find a firewall or the SMTP server itself is blocking the mail. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

thanks.

I found a work around and published it...

In reply to Boaz Neeman_Golan

by ian flitman -

Hi Boaz

I am sorry to disturb you. But my Moodle 2.6 is also not sending emails for example for news forum notifications - and our term is starting real soon. The users all have the right messaging options on their profiles.  I also tried to replace the phpmailer as per the relevant threads in the Moodle forums but all with no success.

You said you found a work around and published it..is this different from using 2.4.7 of the phpmailer?

thanks for listening...

ian

In reply to Bill McNutt

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

try taking lib/phpmailer from version 2.4.7 and placing it instead of lib/phpmailer of your version (rename the original one, do not delete it).

it worked for me smile

In reply to Boaz Neeman_Golan

by Zeid Fanous -

I also upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 and this happend. I would like to thank you for the workaround. hope they fix it soon. its a bit weird. 

i have replaced the phpmailer with the one from moodle 2.4.  what should i do next..\

• normal procedure ( add my gmail to moodle )  ?
  • should i change anything with the classmailer.php or php.ini.?
  • OR should i leave the email settings in moodle blank?

I apologize for the questions,but i have read many suggestions and a bit confused.

Thanks