Looking for a "Mark a word" question type

Looking for a "Mark a word" question type

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Moodlers,

Does anyone know of a "question type" that requires the student to click any word(s) in a sentence and when submitted it will grade him/her according to a predefined word list the teacher setup initially. Something like this: http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/EnglishGrammar101/Module1/Lesson1-50.aspx

Nadav smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: Looking for a "Mark a word" question type

by John Gifford -

Hello Nadav

What about sort of reversing the problem?

Instead of highlighting the word in the sentence what about having the sentence as drag-n-drop text as per the quiz question type available on the moodle.org plugins page. The student drags the verbs, nouns, pronouns etc. whatever it is you want them to find, out of the sentence into a table of cells. I think it would be relatively easy to setup. If you make each drag-n-drop part "infinite" then the sentence will be left intact and the student drags a copy of the word required.

So something like this

Sentence 1 Sentence 2 Sentence 3 Sentence 4 Sentence 5
Verbs          
Nouns          

1 We are the next generation.
2 Congress will be meeting in January
3 A bill must be passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the President.
4 The Commander-in-chief is the President
5 The team quickly huddled on the field.

The students then drag the words into the correct boxes, multiple words can be coded into the boxes.

Just a thought on a way of doing what you want...

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Gifford

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A gapfill style question would partly address this requirement but not entirely. A question type that allows students to arbitrarily select any element of text would offer more scope for assessment. However it raises question of exactly how you would mark.

Teachers would want the ability to require students to select multiple words. In that scenario what mark would you get for selecting one correct and one incorrect word?  Has anyone got ideas for how you would make the selection work, i.e. how would the question text be presented in the underlying HTML? I am assuming that teachers would want students to be able to select more than one word/range of text per submission.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are already using this question type in a similar manner to the one you suggest. We allow student to drag items (word) into blanks that are positioned above several word over the original sentence. 

But, as I wrote to John, it was not the solution our pedagogical staff wished for. Clicking the words to highlight the student's answer is very important to the user experience in this case.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Gifford

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Hello John,

That is a beautiful solution to some other, relatively similar challenge I have elsewhere. So thank you very much for the detailed solution!

But, it was not the solution our pedagogical staff wished for. Clicking the words to highlight the student's answer is very important to the user experience in this case.

Thank you!

In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I could create a question type that addressed this pedagogical requirement given funding and time. Contact me directly if you have both.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Thank you Marcus for your kind offer. I will pass it on and see if we can make it happen smile