Embedded Q/Cloze MoodleXML import into Lesson not working

Embedded Q/Cloze MoodleXML import into Lesson not working

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 5

Searched and failed to find an answer to this:

1. I created a Cloze in Question Bank (below, if it works here)

{:SHORTANSWER:%100%Shang~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Shang".}, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Zhou~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Zhou".} / Warring States, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Qin~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Qin".},

{:SHORTANSWER:%100%Han~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Han".}, P.O.D., {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Sui~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Sui".}, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Tang~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Tang".},

{:SHORTANSWER:%100%Song~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Song".}, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Yuan~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Yuan".}, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Ming~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Ming".}, {:SHORTANSWER:%100%Qing~*#Wrong answer. The correct answer is "Qing".},

ROC, PRC.

1. then exported it to MoodleXML
  2. then imported it into a Lesson.

screenshot 1

The result: "1 questions with unsupported question types were not imported"

screenshot 2

Many thanks to anybody who can help me solve this problem!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clay Burell

Re: Embedded Q/Cloze MoodleXML import into Lesson not working

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Clay,

You cannot import Cloze questions into a Lesson simply because the Cloze question type does not exist in the Lesson activity (unlike Quiz).

Joseph

EDIT.- I've added this important information to the Documentation here.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Clay Burell -

Thanks, Joseph.

I did a workaround and just made quiz activity instead of a Lessson.

But does that mean there's no possible multiple blank-fill exercise in Lessons? Short answer seems to be only one blank-fill per question, right?

Thanks again smile

In reply to Clay Burell

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Clay "[...] does that mean there's no possible multiple blank-fill exercise in Lessons?"

Yes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Atanas Atanasov -

Any chance to fix this in a future version? It's a great problem for all my colleagues... 

In reply to Atanas Atanasov

by Joseph Rézeau -

Atanas "Any chance to fix this in a future version?"

No chance at all. Please note that the so-called "Cloze question" if in fact a collection of sub-questions (of various types). This works in the Quiz activity but it cannot work in the Lesson activity, which by design only accepts one question per page (not several questions or sub-questions).

OK, I've already said this but I'll say it again. On the surface Lesson and Quiz are similar in that both activities are based on asking the student to answer a certain number of questions. However, they are designed as totally un-related and different types of activities, hence the questions and problems that arise whenever moodle users want to use some question types strictly meant for Quiz in a Lesson.

Joseph

PS.- Maybe your colleagues should use the Quiz activity rather than Lesson?