About Custom Role in moodle 2.6

About Custom Role in moodle 2.6

by Noat Tran -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

BEFORE:

I used Moodle 1.9 before and when I created users for our system, I assigned "Teacher System Role" to all of teacher users.

And the problem was every teacher could see and access to every courses in the system. However I didn't want like that so I just let "Authenticated Role" as default for every users. Then for each teacher, I assigned him/her with "Teacher Role" into his/her courses only.

Next, I created a "Custom Teacher" role, and assigned some teacher users into this role. Then I set permission on some sections/activities and so on for this custom role.

NOW:

I upgrade to Moodle 2.6. And I try to create a new "Custom Teacher" role, but I don't see the area that allows to assign users into it like the previous version of Moodle.

I am using a "All User List" plugin and I try to add this block into Front Page. I'd like every teachers can see this block and edit every students' profile (such as "Changing Password", ...)

I change role for this block, I just see the Teacher System role and Custom Teacher role in the list of roles. However every teacher users just have "Authenticated Role", they don't have "Teacher System Role" as I describe above. So they can not see the block in Front Page.

If I assign "Authenticated Role" for this block, every authenticated user, even students in the system can see it.

My English is not very good so my explanation seems to be long, I'd like everyone can understand my situation and support to me and tell me more about Roles in Moodle.

Thanks,

Toan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Noat Tran

Re: About Custom Role in moodle 2.6

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you mean that you want teachers to have a system role such as the custom teacher role? Then when you create the role you must tick the box "system" in the "contexts" - see Creating custom roles and also  perhaps number 13 in Roles FAQ

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Noat Tran -

Actually I don't want the teachers have Teacher System role.

Because as I described in the previous message, if teachers have Teacher System role, they will see every courses in the system even they don't teach.

I understand your replying that I need to check the System check box in editing screen of Custom Teacher Role. I tried so that and now I can see Custom Teacher Role in Assign System Role screen.

I tried to assign Custom Teacher Role for the block I mentioned. And now teachers can see that block so. It's great.

However, when teacher try to view/edit normal user, site alerts that "The details of this user are not available to you". So which permission do I need to set so teacher can change student's password?

Thanks Mary,

Toan

In reply to Noat Tran

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try Capabilities/moodle/user:update

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Noat Tran -

Hi Mary,

I tried to set Allow for user:update permission to Custom Teacher role. And now they can search users via Site administration/ ► Users/ ► Accounts/ ► Browse list of users

When they click to an user for editing, it's OK now. However if teachers click directly into link of user's profile, it will show the user's profile page, not jump to editing screen. And now teacher still have not permission to show up user profile page. It alerts that "The details of this user are not available to you".

I tried to set moodle/user:viewalldetails permission for Custom Teacher role but not still successfully.

In reply to Noat Tran

by Noat Tran -

Actually I set the user:viewdetails permission and it works now. So what is the different from user:viewdetails permision and user:viewalldetails here.