2.6 latest: how to change access URL? (confirm paths page on install)

2.6 latest: how to change access URL? (confirm paths page on install)

by Patricia Loofbourrow -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I'm going from 2.3.3 to 2.6 latest.

First I went through BlueHost's Mojo and found out they wouldn't/couldn't do a straight upgrade, and uninstalling 2.3.3 then installing their one click 2.6 gave me all sorts of errors. So I uninstalled everything, deleted all Moodle files, and installed 2.6

So far, so good.

When I go to my site, though, instead of getting Moodle, I get an index with /moodle. When I click that I'm instructed to choose my language, etc. But when I get to the "confirm paths" page, the URL is wrong.

What it's giving me is http://school.edible-landscape-design.com/moodle

What I want is http://school.edible-landscape-design.com

In other words, I want someone to be able to go directly to moodle (as it was before).

Thanks so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patricia Loofbourrow

Re: 2.6 latest: how to change access URL? (confirm paths page on install)

Well, I thought the problem might be having the Moodle files in a directory called moodle rather than right in the main directory. So I added them and then I got a blank page when going to school.edible-landscape-design.com

So I put everything back the way it was and now I'm getting an error when I click /moodle:

Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

An extra 1x1 favicon keeps getting put in the /school folder as well. It appears after each time I test the page. I'm not sure what that means.

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That means you installed the Moodle files in /moodle instead of the root of the domain. You need to move your files and folders from /moodle to the root. If you have command line access you can change to the /moodle directory and mv * .. to do that. Or use a good FTP client like FileZilla and you can force it to show hidden files and directories, then drag and drop the files and folders to the root of the web server.

Since you uninstalled everything, you'll need the database username, password and name, plus the location of the moodledata files to put in config.php.

In reply to Bret Miller

I see /public_html and /www ... but I'm guessing you mean something other than those.

you'll need the database username, password and name, plus the location of the moodledata files to put in config.php.

Where do you find that information?

by Bret Miller -

/public_html is probably the place. It's been too long since I had a BlueHost account to remember for sure. Performance was so bad on BlueHost when I evaluated it that I cancelled my account after a week or two. 

Generating a blank page may mean it's pulling a file other than index.php as the default page, or there is some internal error that is not being returned to the browser for security reasons. Make sure there are no other files in your public_html except perhaps .htaccess.

Check your control panel. Somewhere in it should be a place to define databases. It should also list the databases that already exist and the users that have access to them. Since you used the control panel to create the initial Moodle install, I don't have a clue where BlueHost would create moodledata. If you can't find a moodledata directory, you might have to ask support where it might be.

In reply to Bret Miller

I'm sorry, I have the moodledata folder from my backup.

I removed everything and re-installed moodle to the folder it was in before the upgrade.

I put in the original moodledata from pre-upgrade.

I put in the old config.php

When I go to my school, I no longer get the index, I just get the error:

Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

I noticed that Moodle 2.6+ has a file called config-dist.php ... do I need to change anything in that?

I'm beginning to wonder if my permissions aren't set right.

I noticed that my folders were 755, while the php files were 644

Also, there's an added folder in moodledata 2.6+ called muc. This folder was marked 777 and had a config.php file marked 666, which reads completely differently from the other config.php files.

I set all folders and php files to 755 but nothing changed -- I still get the same error.

It occurred to me that this is a different problem from the access URL issue, so I was going to start a new thread, but then I decided to look at the search to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

I edited the config-dist.php, deleted the old config.php, and now the installation seems to be working. smile

Spoke too soon. Where do you find the database port and the Unix socket?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not exactly sure what your problem is, but my best guess is that since you have been moving folders and files around, that you have disrupted the interconnection between the database, moodledata, and the moodle program.  These interconnections are defined in your config.php file, if you could find it.  That's where I would start looking, first.  Additionally, the "rights" have to be right smile.

Are you working within SSH, or are you doing all of this with FTP and cPanel?

By the way, I have a Bluehost account.  I do not run my "production" moodle from it.  Right now, it is there more for experimenting.  I have successfully installed moodle to this Bluehost account (see http://www.rjerz04.com/moodle26/).  I did not use Mojo for this, I just did the install myself.  I am not sure if you are in the process of installing your moodle yourself, or if you are "tinkering" with the Mojo install (could be tricky).

I also prefer having Moodle one level down (www.mydomain.com/moodle).  I find this to be a more flexible way to use Moodle, and to have my other website stuff available).  What I prefer doing is giving students several ways to get to moodle (see my www.rjerz.com homepage).  However, I also can appreciate your method.  If I wanted to do what you want to do, I would still keep Moodle one level down, just in case I want to install other products, and then put a redirector webpage as the homepage.  This would allow me to redirect the domain homepage to where ever I wanted to install Moodle.

Just some thoughts for you.

In reply to Rick Jerz

I'm actually working in /public_html/school and put all my moodle files there. I'm on the right URL finally. Mojo customer support has been rather unhelpful.

The problem I'm now having seems to be connected to my config-dist.php settings. I'm on the database settings page and am stuck.

I have created a new thread for this new problem here.

by Bret Miller -

config-dist.php is the current SAMPLE for config.php. The officially recommended way of upgrading has you rename config-dist.php to config.php and copy your settings from your old config.php into that new file. That way any new settings can be seen and added. But most of us simply copy the old config.php back.

So, your restored config.php should have your database settings which should work unless in uninstalling the mojo-installed Moodle, it removed the database. If so, I hope you have a database backup you can restore.

As I stated last time, you should have database control somewhere in your control panel where you can see what the database is called if it still exists, and the database user name. I am unfamiliar with the database settings on BlueHost, so hopefully Rick can help you there...