Logged in students cannot see courses/enrol

Logged in students cannot see courses/enrol

by aye np -
Number of replies: 5

Hello

Background, I am using the essentials theme.  I have it set up so the homepage looks like a standard website - with information describing what the site is about and a login/register option.  It is not until users log in that I want them to be able to see the courses any content.

Initially I wanted to set it so when users register they are just automatically enrolled in all courses.  I wanted them to have access to all the content easily without having to go to the extra hassle of enrolling.  I looked into this and it seemed unnecessarily impossible.  I couldn't find a box that I could simply tick to remove the need for students to enrol.

I gave up on automatic enrollment and now, I'm trying to make it so that when students login they no longer have access to the homepage.  I wanted them to get redirected to /my/ where they can enroll themselves on a course and start learning.  I got the first part figured out but when they get redirected to /my/ it gives them a list of courses they are currently enrolled on.  It does not give them a list of courses that are available.  Thus, they cannot enrol.

If I go to course/index.php on the student account they have access to self-enroll, I just can't seem to add a block to /my/ which they can use to easily self-enrol.

Please excuse my ignorance if there is an easy solution to this, I've been googling for hours and I can't get a solution that works.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to aye np

Re: Logged in students cannot see courses/enrol

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Aye ,

To show the course list to students to enrol follow the steps:

1. First direct the user to the site front page. You can set this from Administration > Site administration > Appearance > Navigation  and then set Site for 'Default home page for users' .

2. After that go to front page settings then select List of courses from drop down for 'Front page items when logged in.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by aye np -

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Problem is-- I can't redirect them to the homepage.  The homepage is made to look as far away from a moodle site as it can possibly be.  The homepage is like the front page of a website and it describes what is within the website.  I can't clutter it up with additional blocks or let people see it whilst logged in.  Once you are logged in the homepage becomes irrelevant and it looks messy when I add a block to 'front page items when logged in' because they see the initial design of the website and then a block oddly placed with the course list.  It just looks wrong.

I need a way, if possible, for users to see the list of available courses at mydomain.com/my/.  Either by automatic enrollment (which I couldn't work out) or by simply having a block at /my/ which lists the available courses.  Similar to the one at 'front page items while logged in'.  Having that would make the user experience so much better.

In reply to aye np

by aye np -

I installed this; https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=enrol_autoenrol

And it seems to "autoenroll" the student to some extent so it removes some unnecessary clicking.  Problem is the student isn't properly enrolled according to /my/ until they actually access the course for the first time.  

Problem still remains that the course remains invisible on the dashboard until the student goes to course/index.php and accesses the course for the first time.  After this the course appears in /my/

I need a way to place the course list from /course/index.php in mydomain.com/my/ rather than the homepage.  Seems to be the only resolution.  Problem is i'm too stupid to figure out how that could be done.

In reply to aye np

by aye np -

Figured it out eventually.  Had to set it in "default my homepage" settings option.  Now my only concern is formatting.  On the admin my homepage I can make the courses display on the left side of the website.  But on the users page the 'courses' block keeps defaulting to the right no matter what I select.

In reply to aye np

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Aye ,

Go to your front page and add a courses block from add a block menu, then click on gear icon i.e For configuring it . And do the settings for Where this block appears (it defines where this block appears om the site) . On this page settings define where this block appear on the current page.