New Theme Not appearing in Notification: Moodle 2.6

New Theme Not appearing in Notification: Moodle 2.6

by Micah Flint -
Number of replies: 8

Just recently upgraded to Moodle 2.6  I also had a custom theme built and am now trying to upload it.  I have tried to upload it through our host server by placing it in the theme folder.  I also uploaded it through plug-ins download zip file.  Both attempts place the theme in the plugins overview as installed but not enabled.  Additionally, it is not showing in my Notifications.  Not sure what to do from here???

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Micah Flint

Re: New Theme Not appearing in Notification: Moodle 2.6

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If its not showing in the Admin Notifications page it would appear there is something missing from the theme

What version have you upgraded from, that your theme was created for? Does it have a version.php file, etc. ?

Richard

In reply to Micah Flint

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Micah,

Sorry I misread your question and so have deleted my previous answer where I had assumed you had managed to install the theme...but it seems the opposite is more to the point.

Can I suggest that you enable debugging, as that will tell you what is wrong with your theme or your site.

Site Administration > Development > Debugging (set it to DEVELOPER)

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tiffany Morgan -

Hi all

Was there a resolution for this? I am having the same issue. I'm on 2.6 and tried to install the latest decaf theme and also the latest essential theme. Placed both in moodle/theme folder. Checked notifications and there were no notices. Neither is listed in the theme selector list. I enabled Theme Designer mode with no results. I turned on Debugging and the results are attached. I checked the theme folder and each individual theme and permissions all seem to be set at owner rwx, group rwx. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachment debugging.png
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Tiffany Morgan -

More info...

I tried a different method via the Install now option on the Plugins directory on moodle.org. I selected my site and received the following error. I dont manage the server-side, but I'm wondering if this is a network configuration issue that is preventing install via this specific method? It would make sense since, but I wonder if it provides any additional insight as to why the upload directly to the server method didnt work either. I had luck with this method previously on my 1.9 instance...

Thanks again!

Debug info: 
Error code: err_curl_exec
$a contents: Array
(
[url] => https://download.moodle.org/api/1.2/pluginfo.php?format=json&plugin=theme_aardvark%402014042500
[errno] => 7
[error] => Failed to connect to 2400:cb00:2048:1::8d65:71b3: Network is unreachable
)
Stack trace:
  • line 93 of /admin/tool/installaddon/classes/pluginfo_client.php: tool_installaddon_pluginfo_exception thrown
  • line 56 of /admin/tool/installaddon/classes/pluginfo_client.php: call to tool_installaddon_pluginfo_client->call_service()
  • line 302 of /admin/tool/installaddon/classes/installer.php: call to tool_installaddon_pluginfo_client->get_pluginfo()
  • line 43 of /admin/tool/installaddon/index.php: call to tool_installaddon_installer->handle_remote_request()

by Tiffany Morgan -

It looks like my problem is not limited to themes--any plug in I upload today (language to moodledata/lang, legacy files go poof to moodle/lib/editors/tinymce/plugins are the others I have tried) all result in no notifications,no installation. I will move my questions to the general add on's forum. Thanks--sorry for any confusion as I work through this!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Does your Moodle site work normally? If so then it might be a network problem in which case you need to talk with the people who maintain you site. If on the other hand your Moodle is on a hosted website, then the problem may be that you need to install it using the cPanel to uplad and install.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tiffany,

I suspect that the machine hosting your Moodle (the server) is incorrectly configured, that is preventing the program 'curl' from accessing the internet and downloading the theme.

This is because:

• 2400:cb00:2048:1::8d65:71b3 is an IPv6 network address - so another machine given 'Failed to connect'.
  • errno is 7 which means (long story) 'Argument list too long' -> http://www.virtsync.com/c-error-codes-include-errno
  • The URL https://download.moodle.org/api/1.2/pluginfo.php?format=json&plugin=theme_aardvark%402014042500 works for me and gives '{"status":"OK","timegenerated":1399406786,"provider":"https:\/\/download.moodle.org\/api\/1.2\/pluginfo.php","apiver":"1.2","datarevision":1399406407,"pluginfo":{"component":"theme_aardvark","name":"Aardvark","version":"2014042500","release":"2.6.3","downloadurl":"https:\/\/moodle.org\/plugins\/download.php\/5855\/theme_aardvark_moodle27_2014042500.zip","downloadmd5":"cb1793930533a1019e33676034a51c54"}}' which is a correct JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) response.

I suggest downloading the 'zip' of the theme and installing manually.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Tiffany Morgan -

Thanks Gareth and Mary!

I did some more checking with my server admin and did actually find some server issues. Since it wasn't just themes I thought it just had to be something more involved and indeed it was smile Once those are addressed I'm going to dive back in, see if the changes fix both the plug in issues as well as this issue. Here's hoping!

Thanks again!

Tiff