Students see "Modi**" instead of "Modifica" in MyProfile ... what is the problem?

Students see "Modi**" instead of "Modifica" in MyProfile ... what is the problem?

by Maria Accarino -
Number of replies: 6

Hi! Can you help me? Students and teachers (admin is ok) see in Administration> My profile settings, "Modi**" instead of "Modifica" ... what is the problem? I'm using Moodle 2.6 Thanks

Attachment 1.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Accarino

Re: Discussions about the Essential theme

by Rafael Nascimento Sampaio -

What is the package language that is being used?

I could see the translations files, to see if are done wrong (with ** on the end of word) or see if can I change to HTML entities, even appearing to others roles perfect the translation can have this word dupplicated to give diferents representations for differents roles.

Re: Discussions about the Essential theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This is not a Theme problem it is a Language one so I am splitting this thread from the main discussion and will then MOVE this discussion over to the Language forum.

Mary

Re: Students see "Modi**" instead of "Modifica" in MyProfile ... what is the problem?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Maria, the explanation is very simple.

On your Moodle site, your Administrator has enabled the censorship filter. In Italian, the word "finca" is part of the $string['badwords'] in file lang/it/filter_censor.php.

Unfortunately, the Moodle censorship filter is not very clever, and it will filter strings (i.e. sequence of characters) that are part of a word. Consequently the "finca" part of the word "Modifica" is filtered out (and replaced by **).

You can either ask your moodle site admin to disable the censorship filter, or to remove the "finca" word from the list of "bad words".

I would like to add that I am personally very much against the Moodle censorship filter, as I am against any form of censorship. Education is the key, not censorship.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Students see "Modi**" instead of "Modifica" in MyProfile ... what is the problem?

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Joseph,
great hint!

Strictly from a tech POV, the already localized strings of a menu should not be the target of the filters chaining: what could be the reason to pass them into that chain? It sounds to me nothing but a performance hit. I'm available to propose an improvement into the Tracker, patch included.

TIA,
Matteo

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Maria Accarino -

The problem was just the filter blush   thanks to everyone!!!