php 5.x on windows 2003 server (Web Edition)

php 5.x on windows 2003 server (Web Edition)

by David Hammond -
Number of replies: 7
Hey everyone!

I am currently looking at Moodle as an alternative for our existing application (lotus). At this stage I am just getting a test box up and running to see how it all works and also to show management.

Anyway, being the NOOOOB that I am.. I cant even get PhP working on my windows 2003 web server!!

Ok this is what is happening:

I have an existing windows 2003 server (web edition) - default install.
I have downloaded the PhP zip package** @ 7.4 megs as well as the PECL extensions.
** Am I able to use the PhP MSI installer for php (2.2 MB)? This apparently is for "CGI only". Anyone able to tell me what the difference is and if im able to use it for moodle?

I have extracted my PhP zip file into c:\php
I have edited the php.ini file and made the suggested changes as per readme
I have added c:\php to the windows path
I have created a web service extension called php within iis manager which points to my php5isapi.dll

Now I was originally stuck on the permissions. I made a test.php page and when I tried to bring it up in my IE browser I got a user/pass box..ie wanting authentication. Anyway the error I got was 403.1 - permission denied due to an ACL resource.

OK, so that tells me its an NTFS permission issue does it not??? assuming it did I took it upon myself to start "playing" with all the NTFS/IIS permissions. Ive tried to open up everything - just so I can get it working.. then I can trim it back.

Ok, progress, I have a "Service Unavailable" message when I try to bring up a PhP page. No authentication box, just that message!

Ive searched php.net and a number of other forums for the new fix.. but again, to no avail.

any help you can offer will be great!

cheers
dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hammond

Re: php 5.x on windows 2003 server (Web Edition)

by David Hammond -
ok ive just found out about xamp and easyphp.

can I use one of these all-in-one installers rather than installing php/mysql separatly?

also, I am using a windows server as I already have the license. Should I be using apache or iis?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes you can - BUT (I'm not sure about xamp) easyphp installs Apache which will be a big problem if you are already using IIS for something else. In many respects you are better off using Apache anyway.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's quite a few steps and it's easy to get it wrong, check this step by step description...

http://www.benmardesign.com/IIS_PHP_MYSQL_setup/php_setup.html

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Hammond -
ok, I have no need for IIS so I can uninstall it and whack apache on there

Howard: I tried that guide, as well as this one:
http://www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html

as well as the original one from php.net but always ended up with permission issues.

I have decided to scrap IIS (I know thats not the best way to troubleshoot errors, ie abandon the application.. but I want to get this up quick, for a test at least, I can decide on paltform/app etc later)

I will try out xampp on my win2k03 server and will let you know how I go!

thanks for your quick responses guys... appreciatted

by Howard Miller -
If that is an option for you - then I would say losing IIS is a very *good* idea!!
In reply to Howard Miller

by David Hammond -
ok ive been sifting through the apache docco as well as on xampps site - but still no answer

my latest *issue* is this:
---------------------------------
So on this 2003 web edition server, I have uninstalled IIS in expectation of apache. Once ive installed Xampp I try to start apache but get the error below:

when trying to install apache as a service:
Installing Apache2 as an Service
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down

when simply running it manually:

C:\apachefriends\xampp\apache\bin>apache.exe
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

Ive read that the cause is due to another web server on the same operating system (ie IIS). Everywhere I go, I keep getting told this. BUT, I dont have IIS on the system anymore, apache just thinks its still there. Ive checked that the www and IIS Admin service are gone as well as deleting the inetpub folder. Ive even reinstalled IIS, rebooted, uninstalled IIS, then tried reinstalling Xampp but get the same results.

What confuses me, is that it says it cannot bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 - it should be 192.x.x.x:80 (the ip of my server plus the web port) so I have nfi why its trying to bind to that address, or if thats just the error generated.

the docco on xampp is very bare, and on the apache site they simpyl tell you to "remove other web servers" - and thats it.. no more detail, no troubleshooting section and no other info.

so, im hoping one of you guys have gone through the same process and found a fix!

is there any config file within apache which specifies which ip and port to be used?

Is there any other way to see if IIS is still running? ie verifying whats running on each port (I have no idea how to do that though)

any other ideas?

by David Hammond -
ok, quick fix, removed IPMonitor.. everything working perfectly!