Upgrade from QuizPort (1.9) to TaskChain (2.x)

Upgrade from QuizPort (1.9) to TaskChain (2.x)

by Jai Gupta -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to upgraded data from QuizPort (1.9) to TaskChain (2.x) or is it expected that we redo our work?I tried installing TaskChain in 2.x hopeing that it would automatically upgrade/migrate/convert QuizPort (1.9) data but it just installed itself leaving all QuizPort data as is.

At links below I do see that there should be a way but I need your help in guiding me to it.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=178780#p783301
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=165491#p725437

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jai Gupta

Re: Upgrade from QuizPort (1.9) to TaskChain (2.x)

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Jai,

Unfortunately, all QuizPorts must be rebuilt as TaskChains.

Yeah, it is a bunch of work. The file structures are so different in Moodle 2.x that it requires a total makeover.

One recommendation I have is to have all the HotPots numbered 01...., 02...., 03....., etc. that would go into a QuizPort. They will be at least automatically ordered for you in a TaskChain. Then set the conditions as you will.

Later,

Jeff

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Jeff, and hopefully Gordon?

Thanks for confirming this.  Jai is asking on my behalf as he is hosting my sites strivney.com and strivney.co.il.  Both these sites are made up entirely of many rather huge Quizports, housing over 1,000 exercises.  Evidently KeytoMoodle are upgrading all their clients sites to Moodle 2.5 or similar in the next few weeks.  So now I am trying to work out what to do about these sites as re-creating these Quizports as Taskchains - well - it will take me months I think and I'm not sure I can face it.   I am just wondering whether there are actually plans to develop an update system for Quizports so that I can weigh up my options?

Thanks,

Deborah 

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jai, Jeff, and Deborah

although converting QuizPort (Moodle 1.9 to TaskChain (Moodle 2.x) automatically remains my overall goal, the conversion scripts are not yet available. 

As with all Moodle modules, there will be two ways to achieve the conversion:

• migrate a Moodle 1.9 site to Moodle 2.x
    in this case, the whole Moodle site is being upgraded including all data about users and their attempts
  • import a Moodle 1.9 backup file to a Moodle 2.x site
    in this case, usually only a single course or activity is being imported, and user data is NOT imported 

The HotPot module already offers both of the above methods, so the TaskChain code can borrow heavily from that. However, TaskChain has a more complex DB structure, so will require some additional code for the conversion.

The QuizPort and TaskChain modules use very similar database tables, so the procedure for the conversion is  essentially as follows:

1. replace "quizport" with "taskchain" in any table name or field name in the backup file
  2. do a standard "taskchain" restore

The important first step is to create TaskChain backup and restore scripts.

Then, we can create the migration script.

And finally the import script.

I'll be working like crazy on this jobs for the next couple of months. I am aiming to complete all the conversion scripts by the end of February.

I would like to have all my courses on Moodle 2.6 by the time our new school year starts in April. However, I am planning to keep the courses available on a Moodle 1.9 site, so that (i) teachers who don't want to change to Moodle 2.x navigation and files can stick with what they know, and (ii) the show goes on even if the conversion process doesn't work out, for whatever reason. 

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon, 

Great to hear from you!  It's excellent news that you are planning to complete a conversion solution for Quizport.

I attach an iSpring file.

Thank you,

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah,
thank you for the iSpring file. I will take a look at it in due course.

I am currently working on a couple issues that Jeff has reported: (1) deleting attempts, (2) scoring or attempts

When those are done I will look at iSring, and then I will start work on the TaskChain backup/restore.

all the best
Gordon