in the Institution I work in we're considering the possibility to develop an e-learning platform based on moodle. The e-platform should serve for non-formal educational activities (I described better the case some weeks ago in this other post).
So far we've been in a very "pre-alpha" phase of the project, where I mostly explored the interest and the availability for the idea itself. Having passed successfully that step (people is interested), I've been now asked to draft a "business case" for the set-up of the project, on the top of which we will activate the decision-making process.
I read with much interest the thread "Requesting Moodle adoption models & info" in which I already found relevant information to my question. However - beside being interested in any opinion or feedback - I would appreciate specifically support and ideas on:
- How to estimate costs for the set-up and maintainance of the sytem (technical aspects only).
- Individuation of the critical points
in the process of adopting a e-learning platform (what can go wrong
without noticing, what are the most difficult concepts to make pass
through, what are the most common "incidents"...).
- Ideas on how to train educational staff to the use of moodle. Please note that training should address both motivational and technical issues. It might be important to know that our educational staff is formed by trainers and not by teachers (see post mentioned before for more info).
- How to risk assess the project (not only economical aspects but also human-related issues, such having trainers dropping off the project, demotivating the staff, etc...).
- Any advice you feel to give me based on your experience!!