linking a chapter

linking a chapter

by Franz Pilgerstorfer -
Number of replies: 9

Hi!

I am looking for a solution to link a chapter in a book. The goal is, that our pupils have one book with all the relevant content. Furthermore they get a link to the relevant chapter (of the same book) in each week.

So the pupils can open the book (which opens at a certain chapter), perhaps even in a new window, and can work on another task at the same time.

As this is the same situation in real life; you have the book next to your exercise and can learn AND complete your task at the same time!

Is there any implementation for the tool I am looking for?

I would be thankful for any comment on this topic!

with regards

Franz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Franz Pilgerstorfer

Re: linking a chapter

by N Hansen -
I put my book in the 0 topic, and then for each chapter of the book, I created a link to it within the relevant unit using a resource that is a link. If students want to have the book open in a different window, then I would hope they would be able to figure out how to do that themselves.
In reply to N Hansen

by Franz Pilgerstorfer -

Thx for your reply. I know about the possibility to add a link to a chapter to my course. BUT... if I go to a book, copy the link of a chapter to the clipboard (using right mouse click, copy link) and paste it to the src of a link, this link does not work when I export and re-import this course!

Any solutions for this problem? Do you create the link on another way? Do I make any mistakes? plz help - thx in advance

Franz

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Last time I tried it everything worked OK during backup/restore. What Moodle version are you using?
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Franz Pilgerstorfer -

I tried it once again, and it did not work, even if i am creating a new course. I am using Moodle version 1.4.3+.

The really strange thing is that the link changes from

.../moodle/mod/book/view.php?id=xx&chapterid=xx
to
.../moodle/resource/view.php?id=xx

Franz

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have just tested it in 1.5.x and it works for me.
Looking at the backup code I do not see any problem that could cause this.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Franz,

Sorry if I've not understood things completely... anyway I think you need to backup and restore the book to a new course (which as Petr says, should work fine) then set up the links in the new course.

wild girl smile

by Andreas Hruska -
I am running into the same linking problems using Moodle 1.5 "final" release:

Links to book chapters within a book are relinkt during the export/import process and work fine.

Links from other ressources (labels, quizzes, ...) were exported & imported to new courses without change in Moodle 1.4 and 1.5 beta. Since the Boodk-IDs and the Chapter-IDs change during export/import - these links were broken.

In Moodle 1.5 "final" links to book chapters are transformend the following way:

from

<moodleroot>/mod/book/view.php?id=117&chapterid=8

to

<moodleroot>/course/$@BOOKCHAPTER*117*8@$

It seems ther is some processing going on during export/import but it is not completed correctly.

Any suggustions ?

In reply to Andreas Hruska

by Petr Skoda -
I am working on the solution, the problem is not in Book itself, I have to fix the general restore in Moodle core...