Text vanishes when composing web page

Text vanishes when composing web page

by diane ehrlich -
Number of replies: 6
Please help.  I have built a course in Topic Outline format.  I turn editing on and then go to a topic.  I click on Add A Resource, Compose a Web Page.  I add text to the full text window and save changes.  Bits and pieces of the text I added vanish intermittently, some times on the top line, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes on the text I add at the bottom.  There is no pattern as to which of the text vanishes.  The first word on the first line usually remains, but if I add more words to the first line, those sometimes vanish.  This is sooooooooo frustrating.  Can someone please suggest a workaround or repair?  Thanks everyone.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to diane ehrlich

Re: Text vanishes when composing web page

by Andy Mansker -

Do these items vanish in both Edit Mode and Preview Mode? or just Preview mode?

If just Preview Mode, do the items show up again when you enter Edit Mode?

In reply to Andy Mansker

by diane ehrlich -

In edit mode, and when editing is turned off, it is not there either

Thanks

by diane ehrlich -
We have tried this on the latest version of IE6 as well as Firefox with the same problems, both on Win XP and Win 2000.  Would anyone please make a suggestion as to what we need to do to resolve this? The only "work-around" that we have is to build and update the web page outside of moodle, which we know is a dopey thing to have to do.  Problem restatement: We go to our course topic, turn editing on, add a resource, compose a web page, enter text, save changed, push the update button, modify or add text, then sometimes the added text is saved and sometimes it vanishes; sometimes the vanishing text is on the same line as existing text, and sometimes it vanishes from a new line.  How should we proceed to resolve this?  Thank you all.

Final plea: Text vanishes when composing web page

by diane ehrlich -
Have not had any relief on this conundrum for two weeks, neither on the forums nor the bug tracker, so we are concluding that its just not that important.  What we would like to do is this: if anyone could let us sneak onto any moodle version higher than 1.4.5, we would test it there, to see if its fixed, before we go to all the trouble of loading up a new version just to find out that the bug still exists.  Who is willing to help us on this matter? Thank you in advance. If you have time to help, email us at emtpny@hotmail.com.

Re: Final plea: Text vanishes when composing web page

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
This sounds like possibly a problem with the HTML Editor, perhaps due to a firewall blocking it and you might want to repost to the HTML Editor forum.

Alternatively it might have something to do with the character encoding in your Moodle database.  See the following discussion: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=22644

Re: Final plea: Text vanishes when composing web page

by James Robertson -

Diane,

Why not try the Teacher Play Area on Moodle.org? 

I suppose the reason you are not getting a response is that the problem has so many variables.  I know for my site (and localhost versions) the HTML editor has been pretty consistent from 1.4.4 to the present 1.5+, though it does regularly clean out certain (predictable) chunks of code when editing or saving.  One also gets surprising results from missing or mistyped tags.  But I am guessing you are describing a more general problem that may be difficult for others to reproduce.  I would suggest checking the HTML editor forum discussions -- there may be something in there that relates to your problem.

Good luck,

Jim.