Installation Problems Under Tiger (OS 10.4) Server

Re: Installation Problems Under Tiger (OS 10.4) Server

by Andrew Hu -
Number of replies: 0
1. Server still uses the www user for web based requests so setting your moodle directory r/w/x by www and blocking evryone should work.

2. Are you using MySQL and PHP distributed with the server, this is Apache 1.3/PHP4.1. It doesn't work out of the box, one of the most un-Apple things I have ever seen. So although mySQL works and PHP works the attempt to create temp/mysql.socket fails because there is no such directory with the standard install. You can either edit your php.ini or create a directory with a mysql socket file just remember to change permissions for the www user. - this may be a security hole as this file is at the root level.

3. Check your php.ini for memory requirements, it's set too low, I moved ours up to 64Mb

4. Moodle 1.4.5+ is running slower, I have a 1.5 running but haven't moved the database across to test with a large load but it does seem to be much better. Other php applications are running faster though is probably due to the RAM upgrade at the same time as the server upgrade.

Xserve G4 (single) 1Ghz 1.5GbRam Server 10.4.1