Installation Problems Under Tiger (OS 10.4) Server

Installation Problems Under Tiger (OS 10.4) Server

by Allen Arsenault -
Number of replies: 3
Greetings,
I'm trying to install Moodle on an a Mac OS 10.4 Server.  I have encountered many problems along the way.

1. Whenever I try to modify config-dist.php to create config.php, then run the install.php I get an error related to a misonfigured config.php.  I worked around this by launching the install.php with out the config.php file present.

2. The install.php will not find/create the moodle data directory.  I "fixed" this by changing the rights on the website so everyone can r/w.  (I know this is bad).

3. The installation fails when it tries to connect to the moodle db.  

I am stuck and need help.  My limited experience with mySQL and PHP indicate to mee that the mysql user and database are valid, but I am realy not sure.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allen Arsenault

Re: Installation Problems Under Tiger (OS 10.4) Server

by mark white -

Is mySQL runing?

Have you created a moodle database?

Our you using the correct username / password for the database?

Seems to me you have done the hard part.

In reply to mark white

by Allen Arsenault -
Yes, to all of the questions. 

From the terminal I could execute "mysql -u moodleuser -p" , I could run basic mysql commands.  I feel the system was working. 

My Solution:
I then tried the install on a 10.3.9 panther server and it went fine.  I'm  going to keep it running on the 10.3 server.  Tiger must be dealing with mysql and PHP differently.  I don't know enough about either to help diagnose the problem. 

Thanks,
In reply to Allen Arsenault

by Andrew Hu -
1. Server still uses the www user for web based requests so setting your moodle directory r/w/x by www and blocking evryone should work.

2. Are you using MySQL and PHP distributed with the server, this is Apache 1.3/PHP4.1. It doesn't work out of the box, one of the most un-Apple things I have ever seen. So although mySQL works and PHP works the attempt to create temp/mysql.socket fails because there is no such directory with the standard install. You can either edit your php.ini or create a directory with a mysql socket file just remember to change permissions for the www user. - this may be a security hole as this file is at the root level.

3. Check your php.ini for memory requirements, it's set too low, I moved ours up to 64Mb

4. Moodle 1.4.5+ is running slower, I have a 1.5 running but haven't moved the database across to test with a large load but it does seem to be much better. Other php applications are running faster though is probably due to the RAM upgrade at the same time as the server upgrade.

Xserve G4 (single) 1Ghz 1.5GbRam Server 10.4.1