FAQ on Themes?

FAQ on Themes?

by Andy Mansker -
Number of replies: 6

My first post in the community. I have been worried about finding a decent GPL LMS and then found Moodle. Awsome app! It actually works.

I have searched far and wide for a FAQ on themes with specifics about where styles are applied  - maybe even a screen capture with callouts for style types. Is there anything available?

I'm also wondering if the header/footer/style in theme/* will essentially give control of the entire site and do things like remove/modify spacing in the tables found on the "home" page and page margins found on resource pages? If not, is there a list of files to be modified?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Mansker

Re: FAQ on Themes?

by Andy Mansker -

Thanks for your very helpful responses! Evidently I looked right over the "Basics" post. I was not aware of the Developer Extension and it shall be installed.

I installed 1.4 as a demo/review because it is the latest stable version. It looks like the final version of 1.5 should be released soon and I'll make the switch when I install at the "real" domain.

QUESTION: If I build a Theme (using only files under /theme/* is it forward compatible to 1.5? Or should I go ahead and install the current version of 1.5?

QUESTION: If I install 1.5 today, will the final version upgrade be a simple no-brainer? What is the chance that the upgrade will bonk the install?

In reply to Andy Mansker

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Andy,

Answer 1: 1.4 themes must be completely reworked for Moodle 1.5, so if ever possible start with 1.5.

Answer 2: 1.5 final will have bug fixes only. Only if some theme related bugs will be found you will have to rework your themes. There are no problems for the step 1.5 beta to 1.5 final expected.

I hope my answer helps. Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Andy Mansker -

Very helpful. I will install 1.5 for theme development.  I just looked at the files and see the /pix files can reside under /theme/* - nice.

thanks!