Bizarre little linking bug from student emails - or not?

Bizarre little linking bug from student emails - or not?

by D.I. von Briesen -
Number of replies: 0

I'm reluctant to post this as a bug because 1) I'm not positive it is and 2) it's low priority and may not exist in 1.5, which we will probably have in for the fall semester and 3) I can't seem to figure out the exact combinations of what causes it.

I use a lot of forums in my class. Usually the are all the same: Each person posts one thread, they are graded from 0-25 points by instructors only, and replies are allowed. Grades are visisble only to students.

What happens is that every now and then one or two students (out of many more) will have posts that, when they come into my inbox, do not hyperlink directly to THEIR post but rather to the forum, whereas everyone else's go right to their post. Since I use a filter in my inbox as a way of managing all my grading (hoping moodle will improve in this area soon - and have put in a request for assignment links as in BB).

So for example: Phil's post to one foum come in like this:

05SU_CSC148_85 » Forums » 2C(2-1)

but in another, like this:

05SU_CSC148_85 » Forums » Class Discussions & Questions » "first java program" "the program"

Note the first links only to the forum itself, while the next to the specific thread.

John's come like this:
05SU_CSC148_85 » Forums » 2C(2-1) » 2C (2-1)

Note the differenc- John's links to HIS thread within that forum.

Then Lawrence:

05SU_CSC148_85 » Forums » 2C(2-1) 

again the thread is missing. These are different students within one class, on the same forum. This leads me to suspect that it is not a forum issue - but somehow relates the student. But what could it be?

This has always come up here and there, but it's subtle enough to not be a big deal, but is annoying - since when it's not directly linked it's a two-step process to see it - and more work if it's a large class.

Open to ideas.

d.i.

PS- I am aware (and very very happy) that 1.5 will have read/unread - and I may have to adapt my grading system accordingly - but I do like the subscription feature, and having all work go to one inbox so the box serves as my "to do" list. I'm not sure yet if the read/unread will replace this functionality.

Average of ratings: -