Teachers Aid - WishList for Teachers/Principles

Teachers Aid - WishList for Teachers/Principles

by Ala Shiban -
Number of replies: 6
Alright. Basically, we're tinkering with Ideas on how to make a teachers' life easier (Principles too).

Could you name one or two tasks that are Tedious and/or Repetitive in your work? and if you have an idea on how to make them easier, do mention it (though not required).

Technical limitations do not apply, throw anything at us, Anything goes.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ala Shiban

Re: Teachers Aid - WishList for Teachers/Principles

by Art Lader -
Documenting that I am really, truly, honestly meeting the needs of special education students and am honest-to-God, cross my fingers and hope to die, I swear on my mother's grave making all accomodations required by law.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Brijesh Kumar -

Needs of special education students:

Dear Art Lader,

I think what can be achieved in Moodle is an implementation of NIMAS http://nimas.cast.org/ through implementation of SMIL for making the Moodle Courses talk to the blinds and visually impaired students. Also see Digital Talking Books Specifications. 

I don't know if you meant by 'special education students' is the accessibility of coursewares by students with such special needs.

Accessibility is one area where much can be contributed to the learning community.

Regards,

Brijesh

In reply to Brijesh Kumar

by Art Lader -

Dear Brijesh,

There are two Issues here, I think:

• At Aiken HS, our special education teachers have not even tried Moodle. They say they are too busy filling out paperwork and attending meetings to do so. I have seen what they go through, and I believe them.
  • For regular education teachers (that is the term our special teachers use to describe teachers like me), documenting that we have made accomodations is a time-consuming, tedious business. And it is critically important that we do so. Help me with this and you have performed a great service, indeed.

Thanks,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Mark Burnet -

Art, if you wish to discuss Spec Ed tools, such as IEP's, let me know.  We use a hosted web based product for this.

Our Spec Ed teachers that use Moodle,  adapt lessons from the Core instructor into a moodle presentation.  They call this a collaborative lesson and set up a Moodle course to present the materials.  This is an accomondation for a variety of special needs students, especially those that need supplementary activities and extra time, such as those with ADD/HD conditions.

Accessiblility issues are not much of a problem with Moodle.  But, we too would like to find tools that allowed us to better track accomondations for the Federal reporting process and IEP processing from the instruction that students receive.

In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

ummmm... cross my heart, of course...

-- Art

In reply to Ala Shiban

by Brijesh Kumar -

Hello, Ala Shiban,

That's a great topic! I attempt a list for school management here, which perhaps may some day integrated with Moodle!

1. Registration of students, their demographic details;

2. Bus Route Management;

3. Attendance of Teachers, Students, Staff;

4. Library Inventory + Issue Management;

5. School Inventory Management;

• Science Labs;
  • Sports Room;
  • Music Lab, etc.

6. Mess/Canteen Management;

7. Event Management:

• Invitations
  • Accomodation
  • Scheduling

8. Syllabus Management;

9. Class Scheduling and Calendar Management;

10. Medical Records...

If there is some possibility that above modules may be written for Moodle, it will be a real boon for schools, teachers and students.

Brijesh