Wildcards in JCloze

Wildcards in JCloze

by Manuel Mendoza -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, 

I haven't found how to add wildcards to JCloze fill-in-the-gaps exercises and I would like to know if it is possible. 

This is what I want to do: I want students to retype sentences putting an adverb of frequency into the correct place. For example:

I listen to the radio in my car. (usually)

Here students would have to retype the sentence including the word "usually"

What is important to me is that they type the pronoun, the adverb of frequency, and the verb in the correct order; so as long as they type "I usually listen..." the sentence would be correct. I would not mind if they typed "I usually listen to the rdio in my car." or "I usually listen to the radio in my car (with no period)" or "I usually listen to theradio in my car." 

I know I can type alternate answers in JCloze but it would be too many alternate after "I usually listen...". I also know I can provide the rest of the sentence after the subject, adverb of frequency, and verb (___  ____ ____ to the radio in my car.) but I want my students to type English words as much as possible.

I work with teenagers so I try not to be so picky with them in respect of spaces and punctuation in this case because what I want to assess is word order with adverbs of frequency.

I know you can do this with Moodle's Quiz Short answer questions by typing "*" as the wildcard to match any series of characters so basically I want to be able to do the same with JCloze.

I hope I made myself clear.

Best regards,

Manuel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel Mendoza

Re: Wildcards in JCloze

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Manuel,

If your pedagogical objective is getting your students to practice putting frequency adverbs in the right place, then probably JCloze is not the right application.

I'd use JMix: this presents the words of a sentence in disorder and students have to put them in the right order.

I have a set of Frequency adverbs exercises which might give you inspiration - no JMix, but I'll add one when I update the set. I'll also add a JQuiz short answer where they actually have to write the sentences: the "questions" would be the words in disorder.

HTH,

Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Manuel Mendoza -

Hi Glenys,

Thanks for your quick response. I don't really like JMix because it doesn't give students any credit even if they put, let's say, 4 of 6 words in the right place. They must order all the 6 words correctly or else they get zero. For that reason, I actually prefer JCloze with the drop-down list for the jumbled sentence exercises. 

For the example I put in the first post, there are two reasons why I would like JCloze to have wildcards:
1) students would have to type English words instead of just clicking on them or choosing them from a drop-down list;
2) the assessment would focus on what's most important to me, that is, the first three words (I usually listen). Of course I am not going to tell the students they don't have to type the rest of the sentence correctly. I would be the only one to know that.

Besides, wildcards would be useful for another type of exercise I have in mind: asking students to retype sentences with contractions. Example: They are doctors and they live downtown. So, as long as "They're" is in the answer it would be correct.

I hope you can tell me if it is possible. If it is not, I think I am going to have to stick with Moodle's short answer questions.

Regards,

Manuel

In reply to Manuel Mendoza

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Manuel,

I agree with Glenys, but I also see your point. Wildcards are not possible in hotpotatoes; unless you know how to do it in javascript or php, or you want to do some very heavy modification with php. Someone might be able to do it, but I imagine it'll be very difficult.

Anyway, here are some exercises of mine for ideas. Hope you find them useful.

Cambridge FCE Key word transformations: http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/assets/taxonomy/keyword-transformation.htm

Contractions: http://www.ewbooks.info/level1/u1g3.htm  and http://www.ewbooks.info/level1/u2g6.htm

Position of adverbs of frequency drag-drop: http://www.ewbooks.info/level1/u4g2.htm

Cheers

Stan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Manuel Mendoza -

Thanks Stan. By the way, your book has been of great help to me! Thanks a lot =D

Happy New Year!