Can Turnitin iframe be opened with 100% width?

Can Turnitin iframe be opened with 100% width?

by roshan kolar -
Number of replies: 7

Hi There,

This is how the Turnitin Iframe opens for us in the college. It's not a big deal to scroll through it, but we were thinking if we could have the iframe open to a 100% width (since we don't have the left and right blocks) and a fixed height (say 1000px)?

Some of the teachers have complained that it's difficult for them to scroll the iframe content for more details when there are a lot of things to do within it smile

Since I dont see the blocks on either sides, I feel it shouldn't be problem to make it 100%. Please let me know what to do and where.

Thanks a lot in advance. (reference picture attached within this post) 

Attachment example_turnitin_iframe.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to roshan kolar

Re: Can Turnitin iframe be opened with 100% width?

by Paula Clough -

Roshan,

Are you using the Turnitin plugin module for Moodle or trying to link to the page with any iframe opening?

We use the plugin and have all the Turnitin assignment uploads through Moodle and the list of links etc. through the Moodle Turnitin assignment then only the grading page needs to go out to Turnitin and that it a popup.  After the grading, Turnitin grades are imported directly into the Moodle gradebook.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by roshan kolar -

Hi Paula,

Yes we are using the turnitin integration for Moodle. It works perfectly fine, but the view comes as shown in the image in my first post. Even though we don't have the blocks on either sides of the iframe, it opens up in the middle. We need it to take the full width teachers don't have to scroll horizontally.

In your modules, does turnitin open in an iframe? In Moodle most of the external tools open like this, within an iframe and in the centre. There has to be a CSS tweak somewhere.

In reply to roshan kolar

by Paula Clough -

Roshan,

Once we go to grade the assignment, it opens in a new window, full size.  That way when we are done grading, we can just close the window and we are back in our Moodle site at the list of submissions.  The teachers really like it and it has worked well.  Grades sync to the Moodle gradebook.  Students can easily see their marks in the same type of new window.

Paula cool

Attachment turnitin.jpg
In reply to roshan kolar

by Marty Soupcoff -

It looks like you are using the Turnitin - Moodle Basic integration. Based on Paula's description, she is using the Turnitin - Moodle Direct integration. The information and differences between the two can be found here.

As to a fix, I believe you are on the right track. I think it may be something related to your theme because my university previously used the Basic integration and we did not have that problem. The Turnitin UI filled the enter width.

As a recommendation though, I think it would be best to update to the Direct integration. The advantages of doing such are listed in the link I put above but also because Turnitin plans to phase out/retire the Basic integration. It lists currently on the site, "Turnitin hopes to fully retire the Moodle Basic plugin no earlier than Q1 2015." So you have time if you want to stick with the Basic version but you'll have to change eventually. From personal experience, I like the Direct integration much better. We have had less problems with submissions synching, user account conflicts and most importantly, fewer teachers having problems.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by roshan kolar -

Hi Marty, Thanks a lot for that input. I checked the link. I guess it is the limitation of the basic plugin then, especially with the theme we are using now. I will see if we can use the direct plugin. But I saw in the link you shared that :

Disadvantages:

• Does not support full suite of Turnitin products including PeerMark, and Turnitin Rubric Manager
  • Requires the use of a separate workflow to use Turnitin - Turnitin is treated as a unique assignment type in Moodle

Will this affect me? We are used to using the Rubric Manager a lot to design rubrics, import rubrics and export them.
And what exactly is 'Turnitin is treated as a unique assignment type', will this also affect the way we were using assignments/turnitin so far?

Thanks.

Roshan

In reply to roshan kolar

by Marty Soupcoff -

It's true it doesn't currently support Peermark. We are hoping that gets added in some time in the future. Not many of our teachers were using Peermark though so it wasn't a show stopper to lose the feature for us. As to the availability of rubrics, I'm pretty sure that is still available because I know teachers that use it. I'm not sure if it's slightly different now but I know they use rubrics. Contact your Turnitin rep to get clarification on that.

See here (not my video; just found it on YouTube) to get an idea of what they mean by "unique assignment type". Essentially the Turnitin assignments have a more Moodle-like look. No longer does it just embed the Turnitin UI into the page; it uses your theme for all the buttons and text. To students and teachers it looks similar to the Moodle assignment module. I believe this would eliminate your issue of the iframe not embedding full frame. The Assignment Inbox would look something like below instead.

The workflow of creating the assignment wouldn't change much for the teachers. We have instructions written up here for our teachers. Feel free to look at and adapt for your teachers if you want; just make sure to cite us.

The downside of the Direct integration is it could lead to some user error in confusing some Moodle features with Turnitin features. Of particular note:

1. When creating the Turnitin assignment, the Start, Due and Post date are on a secondary page from the assignment settings. This lead a lot of our teachers to think that the Restrict Access section was where they put these dates. I had to bold the instructions not to do that for our teachers in the link I put above.
  2. There is some confusion between Turnitin Marks and Points in the gradebook. With the Direct plugin, Turnitin assignments are held to the same 100 point max that other Moodle assignments are held to. This lead to some of our teachers changing the Max Marks to over 100 because they want assignments over 100. The Max Marks though are essentially weights that then scale to the point value entered in the Grade field in the assignment settings. It is similar to how quizzes work. You give each question a mark value. All the question marks add up to a Total Marks. This Total Marks then scales to the Maximum Grade field. See the example I provide in my link above for more clarification.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Paula Clough -

Thanks Marty for the explanation. Very helpful. I guess we have only been using the direct since we started 2 years ago. 

Paula cool