I´m a teacher not a programmer

I´m a teacher not a programmer

by Christopher Britt -
Number of replies: 46

Moodle 2.6 I´m trying to install it

Hosting I own a domain and want to use it

2.6 won´t install fully

Ports 80 causing problems

Really could do with an idiots guide, can anyone help; oh I have until the 6th of Jan to get it up and running. 

Merry Christmas and a Feliz año nuevo

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Britt

Re: I´m a teacher not a programmer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm a teacher not a programmer either, but I have on occasions managed to install Moodle so let's take a step back and see how far you got. You have a domain name and web space, yes? How have you tried to install Moodle so far  - which instructions have you followed?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't need to be a programmer but you do need to have some admin skills for your chosen platform (or be prepared to learn).

We do need some basic details though. What operating system or hosting are you using? How are you trying to install Moodle? *Exactly* what error messages are you getting (copy and paste please)? Do you already have something else running that might be grabbing port 80?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Christopher Britt -

Thanks guys,

I´ve just woken upfrom my siesta so I have a bit of energy, wife and kids are going out so I have a bit of peace and quiet until son turns up later.

System Windows 7 64 bit

Version that I´ve tried to install is Moodle Windows installer - latest-26

On my PC I have SKYPE which could be the culprit for port 80 problem so I´ve read?

TTFN

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is this your 'desktop' Windows computer? Why did you get a domain name, what are you hoping to achieve with that? Most desktop computers have changing 'real' IP addresses so cannot (easily) be used as a server. That's why people buy hosting.

Regarding, port 80, have a read of http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-do-i-determine-what-is-using-port-80/5ded7d0b-093c-43d9-9349-bf253265f99e

by Christopher Britt -

OK 

It´s a desktop

Domain/hosting is one that I hve had for some time.

I´m going to have a look at "answers"

by Christopher Britt -

I´ve gone through the process and no joy, I´m a better teacher than computer tech ;)

by Howard Miller -

What does "no joy" mean? What did you find out? Even nothing is something wink

by Christopher Britt -

no joy = no success sad

found out nothing new sad 

BitNami was good because it allowed me to configure the ports (before it crashed)

So here I am again, trying to install MOODLE

I NEED AN IDIOTS GUIDE jajajajajaja ;)

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Alan Hess wrote:
> You're certainly NOT an idiot.

That is why in certain countries names like 'Idiot' or 'Fool' are forbidden. If you call a person 'Idiot' often enough, he'll become an idiot!
sad

by Howard Miller -

You misunderstand me I think - please tell us what actually *happened*. We can't help without solid information - "I did, this, this and this and I got this error message". "No joy" could mean that Martians came and spirited away your computer just as installation was finishing - it doesn't help us to help you. 

I know it's frustrating, but you don't need an idiots guide you need to back up and explain what's happening in detail. 

by Christopher Britt -

MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-26

UN zip, black window appears; do you want to refresh XAMPP =1 return for YES

Include files YES

Starts un zipping message appears in another box:

long list of can´t instal MYSQL files

by Christopher Britt -

Un zipped Moodle Window Installer - latest- 26 in My Docs

Message CAn´t bind 0.0.0.0.80

Unable to open logs

In reply to Deleted user

by Christopher Britt -

Thanks, as it says in my profile "everyday we learn something new".

TTFN

by Christopher Britt -

WOOOOOO HOOOOO  I think Bitnami has solved it for me, let´s see if it works!

Thanks to everyone but I might be back, cross your fingers and hopefully we can catch up in the New Year and not before cool

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am a teacher too.

If you want to continue experimenting and learning, Bluehost.com was able to give me a free hosted server because I am a teacher.  It's a pretty good starting platform, and I have Moodle 2.6 running on it.  Realize, however, that this is a "hosted" server, so you might eventually find that it is not powerful enough.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Christopher Britt -

Hi Rick,

I already have the hosting as I have my own webpage, my problem is getting Moodle to open, run and set up. Once I can get in and have a look how it works then I will tackle the problem of getting it on to the hosting.

Live and learn

by Rick Jerz -

Great!

Now, with your hosting plan, do you have FTP access, SSH access, and some of the normal control panel tools like phpMyAdmin?

Some hosting plans provide a one-click install.  Does yours?  You can do this, and it will probably work.  However, in the future, you might have some difficulties upgrading.  So I recommend learning how to install Moodle from scratch, which really isn't that hard.

You might be there already (i.e., have moodle running on your server), but keep us posted and continue asking questions.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Christopher Britt -

Rick, you´re talking another language to me hahahaha I have A2 levle of this jargon ;)

I´m still trying to get Moogle 26 to install, this is a STEEP learning curve for me but I will suceed

In reply to Deleted user

by Christopher Britt -

GREAT Bitmani has installed MySQL Database and Apache Web Server and both are running along with phpMy Admin but no sign of Moogle

Attachment Bitmani.JPG
Attachment Bitmani1.JPG

by Christopher Britt -

This is the Back of House to my WebPage and I´m still having problems with ports eg Xampp

Attachment MyBackOfHouse.JPG
Attachment Xampp.JPG

In reply to Deleted user

by Christopher Britt -

Hi 

PC won´t play so I´ve been on Youtube and I´m now configuring Moodle on my webpage but it´s not letting me go through the complete set up.

The youtube video is by mygreatlearningsite "how to install moodle on shared hosting via cPanel"

Attachment cPanel1.JPG
Attachment cPanel2.JPG

by Dan Bennett -

Hi Chris,

In an earlier screenshot you have a cPanel page? If you go back to there you should see MySQL Databases. Ensure you have created a database before you try to install Moodle to it. 

Quickest way will be create a user and tell it to create a database for that user. Then the user and database name will be the same.

Good luck!

In reply to Dan Bennett

by Rick Jerz -

Usually, I create the database, then a user, then assign the user to the database.

After doing this, I go into phpMyAdmin, find the database that I just created, click on "operations", and make sure the collation is set to utf8_bin.

This is done before starting the Moodle install.

Also, before starting the moodle install, I like to create the moodledata folder, and change its rights to 777.  This is easier for me to do using SSH (chmod 777 moodledata), but the file management tools in cPanel should be able to do this too.

Now, I would start the Moodle install.  

by Rick Jerz -

Based upon your experience at this point in time, ask your hosting company if they have a "one-click" install for Moodle.  Many hosting companies have this.  Although you will outgrow this initial install of Moodle, it will let you get started leaning Moodle quickly.  The latest version of Moodle is 2.6+, and it would be great if your hosting company provides this version.

With time, you can then learn how to install Moodle from scratch.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Christopher Britt -

woooooooo hoooooooooo

approve THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP AND INPUT  approve

I just love the people from hostgator, their live chat and techs are stars!!!!!

All installed and working all I have to do now is learn how to MOODLE big grin

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU and again THANKS

by Rick Jerz -

Great!  I am sure that we will be seeing around more on moodle.org.

Consider buying a book about Moodle, or getting some of the training videos on Lynda.com.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Christopher Britt -

Thanks for your help and advice.

Moodle is up and running but when I try to register it by clicking the link it comes up as an error!!! 

Back to reading and Youtube to see if I can find out why

Attachment Response.JPG

by Howard Miller -

Which page isn't found? What's in the address box when this happens?

by Christopher Britt -

I go in through registration and it comes up witht the error page, if I go through motifications I go through the registraion doc and click at the end register with Moodle I get the error message again.

Now it is saying something about php but I have not found the way to change the settings?

Attachment Register your site.JPG
Attachment Registration information.JPG

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What do you think the PHP message means?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Christopher Britt -

I´m thinking it could/must be something in the php settings but I can´t find it anywhere sad but I will keep searching !

by Howard Miller -

You don't need to register with Moodle. It's a long time since I have done it but I think it declines your registration until you have a certain number of courses and users (to avoid spurious registrations of empty sites)

by Christopher Britt -

Your a STAR !!!!!! Yes

Let´s hope you´re right but we´ll find out in a bit.

All I have to do now is get used to Moodle and configure it the best way for me to work and teach. Easier said than done but head strong and slightly stubborn I am, and with age I´ve even devleoped a bit of patience, not much just a bit wink 

by Howard Miller -

I'm always right... but not as right as my wife wink

by Christopher Britt -

CREAP big grin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Chris

Just to let you know I have split your last post and made it into a new thread because it was a different question (about a plugin ) and we try to keep it to one question per postwink http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Forums_code_of_conduct

Theme

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris

If you plan to migrate your current site http://www.britingles.blog.com to moodle, check with the "Themes" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=46 people. Can't remember seeing a comparable one in their collection.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Theme

by Christopher Britt -

I was planning on keeping them seperate for a while unti I learn A LOT MORE about a lot of things, I´m limited on time due to work and other commitments at the moment. sad  smile