Moodle documentation: How about translation

Moodle documentation: How about translation

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I think translation of the wiki documentation is not that easy. Are there any suggestions on how to do that (eg like when a page is not translated, the english page is shown...)?

Of course the wiki can serve as a source for information for people who want to write a manual in their own language
Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: Moodle documentation: How about translation

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You're right, managing translations in a wiki is difficult, but we'll have to deal with it, sooner or later. Copying the contents of the English page if the page is not translated might be an option, but there are some disadvantages of this solution, too. What about pages which are only partially translated? Maybe an alternative solution would be just to place a link to the English equivalent of the current page at the top?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Sounds like a plan smile
Is it possible to copy just the structure with on every page a link to the english?
The community could then add the translations on the existing (empty, just the link) pages and have a clear view on what is done and what not.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Is it possible to copy just the structure with on every page a link to the english?

I don't know yet smile It would be great if this was possible. I guess I'll ask some programmer for assistance with this (when the dust settles after the 1.5 releasewink)
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Samuli Karevaara -
I haven't taken a closer look on how it works, but Wikipedia has "this page in other languages" link on some pages. Also, namespaces might be something worth using on the doc wiki.

See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland, on the left side the is "in other languages" box with loads of languages. I wonder if this list is manually updated...